Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Berrys Tackle  (Read 8391 times)

FishiN AddicT

• WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
Re: Berrys Tackle
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 08:57:26 PM »

I don't call knocking something down that is marked up 100 % giving a deal .
Note that what some people call 100% a merchant calls 50%.
An item that sells for $2 and costs the merchant $1 is marked up 50%-$1 being 50% of the total price.
Maybe news to some but that's how retail works.

so the higher the item sells for, the merchants' mark up percentage decreases  ???  doesn't make too much sense.  so if he decides to sell that item at cost.........he just marked it up 100%? weird..............that is news to me  :-\

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 11:45:09 PM »

You will never get something at cost from a business trying to make money there allways making something they mark a rod up 50 bucks take ten off your getting a deal . Yeah right sucker. ;D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2005, 01:53:02 AM »

i'm probably not supposed to divulge the inside info on retail margins but here is a brief example.

the rods and reels folks buy ( at the busier shops ) such as the trophy xl, shimano convergence, berkley , shimano calcutta's, abu 6500's ect.. ect... pontoon boats, float tubes, waders, so basically the big ticket essentials, are in most shops priced as "loss leaders", meaning full mark up is not possible because the prices on these items get you thru the door and the retailer is making very little as far as profit.
the calculation used to come up with an end price is different for each shop because retailers get dealer discounts for volume purchase. This is why the walmarts and army and navy's can afford to have low pricing because they buy as a corporation and distribute to thier stores thus earning the maximum AAA dealer discount. Many shops can't earn theses discounts because they simply don't move enough of the particular product.
I'll tell you this, if a customer is walking into a shop and has the shop order an item that is not a standard stocked inventory item, the retailer is using a calculation based on the dealer cost x 1.45 to 1.73. with 1.73 being the standard. You go less than this on too many items and you will NOT be in retail for long.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2005, 04:30:35 AM »

I know in some retail busines (electronics) if you buy 100 units /months your cost is 10% discount.
And if your monthly total sale of their product exceeds a certain amount, the supplier will give
an additional discount. So sometimes you see shops having discounts it may not neccesary be overstock.
It can infact they're almost at that step up for additional discount.

legend

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2005, 11:47:53 AM »

So you should buy at Army & Navy or Crappy tire so you get the best deal simple . ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2005, 03:27:55 PM »

I am a loyal customer of Hatchmatchr's in Maple Ridge. I buy all my tackle,line and small items in this shop as I love the service and the BS sessions with the owner.

All my big items I buy I either buy on EBAY or go across the border for the day.

The point is that people should support their local shops to keep them in business one way or another. Unless you like these big chain stores around without that added touch. Nothing can beat going into a store where you can buy a few items and just BS about fishing or whatever your into.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2005, 03:45:24 PM »

The point is that people should support their local shops to keep them in business one way or another. Unless you like these big chain stores around without that added touch. Nothing can beat going into a store where you can buy a few items and just BS about fishing or whatever your into.

Like he said

legend

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2005, 05:41:20 PM »

Example broke my Berkley Canadian Series rod fighting a Chum tried to return it for exchange was told it had to be sent in to Berkley could take up to a couple of months to get new one this was at my local shop where i spend hundreds every year. LIKE I SAID.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2005, 05:52:37 PM »

Small mom & pop shop can have problem with replacement and repairs at times. For department stores. Suppliers are more flexible when dealing with those stores, since their orders are huge.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2005, 05:55:51 PM »

Example broke my Berkley Canadian Series rod fighting a Chum tried to return it for exchange was told it had to be sent in to Berkley could take up to a couple of months to get new one this was at my local shop where i spend hundreds every year. LIKE I SAID.

Thats the reason I said I buy the big ticketed items elsewhere. Its not the fault of the store that you were unable to get another rod immediately. Places like Army&Navy or Wal-Mart can give you a rod right across the counter and take it as a loss and still keep your business without a big deal. The smaller stores cannot afford to take the loss, instead they would have to return the rod to the supplier and get a new one or get it fixed before you get to see a new or fixed rod.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

shrek

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2005, 03:30:11 PM »

I buy some big items on ebay.  Most items are bought in one or 2 stores that I shop in regularly.  AndI usually get a discount.   I just started fly tying so every trip to Searun or any other store always costs 20or 30 dollars.   I do not shop in wallmart much or crappy tire.  As they never have what I am looking for.  I like to look and chat a bit in the store and gain more knowledge.   This is only avaible in a tackle store