Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spratley Boat owners - Help is needed  (Read 5467 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Spratley Boat owners - Help is needed
« on: July 11, 2020, 03:59:02 PM »

Hi Guys,

I have been working hard during COVID and staying focused at work.  I also haven't been spending any money and not going out so its time to reward myself.

I am going to buy myself a boat.  I have always thought about buying a spratley 12 foot boat.  I hear they are built solid and while they are a little more expensive....I love that they are stable and I love the fact that it will last a lifetime. I am starting to learn that when you buy stuff..buy the best you can. 

Anyhow.if anyone owns one I am looking for some help...

Do they go on sale?

I don't thinking of buying a folding trailer and having that in the garage.  Is this a stupid move? 

Does anyone have a 10 footer and wish they had a 12.  or vice versa...

anyone have one and love it?

Just wanted to lean on the community before I spend a bunch of money.

thanks
see ya on the river

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Re: Spratley Boat owners - Help is needed
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 05:24:20 PM »

More questions. 

Anyone have a journey boat and what’s your feedback

Also is there a rule of thumb as to what size utility trailer I can get away with a 12 footer
see ya on the river

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 10:35:56 AM »

I have a 10' Spratley and love it.  I fish by myself for the most part so a 10' is best for me, however can be fish two if need be.  12' if your going to be fishing two anglers more often and a trailer is a good idea but I do see many 12' on roof racks or boat loaders. 

I put my 10' in the box of a Tacoma on top of a a couple 2x8 sections of wood as it wont fit in between wheel wells and it sits just above wheel wells. 

I doubt they go on sale but could be wrong. 

I had my 10' custom made without the middle bench and had a pedestal seat installed.  Also had the oar storage installed so the oars could be stored on outside of boat. 

I added my own wheels but sprately also has a wheel package you can order which is a good idea. 

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 11:11:30 PM »

Thanks GLX.  Trying to find someone who has a 12 footer.  Curious if they are stable.  The sight says they are but obviously could be advertising.

I would also love to know who makes them. If a retailer won’t help me out with a warranty claim where do I go?
see ya on the river

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
see ya on the river

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 08:55:38 AM »

I have the ten and it’s very stable so I’m sure the 12 will be. I find the older I get the heavier it gets though.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 10:36:17 AM »

I have the ten and it’s very stable so I’m sure the 12 will be. I find the older I get the heavier it gets though.

I think the 12' is even wider, so should be extremely stable. But 200 lbs, so that has to be considered too.

Though if the OP is planning on trailering it, then might as well get the biggest boat that one can manage

Old Blue

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 12:38:02 PM »

The 12ft Spatley is overkill unless you're exclusively using a trailer and plan on having 3 people in it.  The 10ft has loads of room and very stable and looks pretty slick, same with the 8ft (a few friends have both models)

The Journey 9ft 6inch has plenty of room for two people and very stable as well.  There's no chance I'd want to have to put that on roof racks but it seems easy enough to get it into the back of a pick up (my buddy has one) by lifting the back edge on then lifting the front end to slide in flush to the cab.

You can't go wrong with either brands as they're both top quality, very stable and hold their value.  If you do order from Journey they're usually a month or so later for delivery than what they say as they're super busy but a few friends say worth the wait...I think they're saying November/December for orders made now.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 05:40:26 PM »

well decision is going to be a spratley 12 footer.  I know its overkill but being that its going to be a forever freshwater boat.... I don't mind it being overkill.I can't swim wouldn't mind a little more capacity / space on it.  I am going to be trailering it all the time so not a huge issue. I am going to keep my eyes open for a utility trailer.  They have some in eastern Canada that fold down into a smaller space.  This is very attractive but for the first bit if I have to uhaul it ... so be it.   I am going to get the wheels also.  That will help me from straining the ol back. 

Going to keep my eye out for a electric motor and maybe a gas one in the future.  can't wait to get it in the water...
see ya on the river

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 03:55:02 PM »

Although you've already decided on a Spratley... FYI if there is an active Spratley vs Journey discussion thread over at FlyBC https://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?/topic/66444-journey-vs-spratley/&_fromLogin=1

Although the "Reader's Rides" sub forum is one of the ones that you need to be registered for to read posts.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 08:02:04 PM »

thanks Clarki.  I read it.

I do like the extra size and I am going to get the wheels.  hopefully this makes it easier for me.  I will almost always be fishing with a buddy.  I have started to look at trailers.. man this is getting expensive..lol.  well they say buy the best you can afford. 

Thought about going down to the 10 foot but... I wanna do this right... the first time... regardless of the cost..

see ya on the river

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 08:48:01 AM »

well decision is going to be a spratley 12 footer.  I know its overkill but being that its going to be a forever freshwater boat....

A 12 footer is absolutely not overkill, especially if you are going to trailer it anyways and you plan one more than one person.

I fish solo out of a 10' jon and would much rather have a 12 if it wasn't for the weight. For multiple passengers you'll be glad for any additional space

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 10:51:16 PM »

Well here is the next issue.  Can I put a Jon boat on a boat trailer? I want to trailer it and boat trailers seem a little cheaper.  I can also put my cooler and stuff in the boat.  I would need to trailer but what type of trailer
see ya on the river

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2020, 10:54:26 AM »

yes a bunk trailer would be fine providing you dont load it up with a bunch of weight.