Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to BC  (Read 5469 times)

floatfishin

New to BC
« on: October 01, 2009, 01:39:01 PM »

Hey Gang! Was searching the web today in hopes of finding a site like this!!! I move to BC from Ont in April. I'm an avid river fisherman, I use a center pin with a 13' rod that I have brought out here with me. I finally have this, and next weekend off, and was wondering if anyone was fishing this weekend, maybe the Cap?? I'm totally green for waters out here, but would love to head out. As said, I have gear, my waders, and just was hoping to meet up with a few lads to get an idea on where to fish.

I am part of the "FFCG" Floatfishing Conservation Group, based out of Ont, and have many yrs with the fishries in Ont, I.E Stocking programs, Stream Re-Hab projects and so on.

I'm not asking for a guide, but would be more than happy to buy lunch, timmies and maybe meet a few new faces in the Van/Lower Mainland area.

I live in Surrey, and work in Van, just hoping a newbie might get a bit of help and get out on the waters!!!

Tight lines!

Float.

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: New to BC
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 01:50:32 PM »

Welcome to BC, its just better out here. ;D

The Cap is just a trickle right now because its dammed and the reservoir is low from summer.  Most BC residents will be headed to the Vedder in Chilliwack this weekend, so you might as well join them.  Most people have have good success jigging a big-arsed treble hook through schools of nearly dead salmon, but that's frowned upon.  The preferred method is called "short floating" and basically you float roe or wool ties a couple feet up off the bottom under a float avoiding water with stacked up dying salmon.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=22136.0
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?board=2.0
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:53:42 PM by Matt »

floatfishin

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 05:40:16 PM »

CC: Thanks for any info you can submit my way bro, would be greatly appreciated, an if I can offer any ideas myself one day I'm sure to offer the same.

Matt: I kinda figured I deserve that response, about the "Treble Fishing" Though I may be a newbie to BC, I a certainly not new to the sport, and I am certainly not a snagger :-\. I am not a troll on here looking to seek out anyone's hot spot, nor am I looking to lurk on anyone's leg work they have done to find thier spots. I have chased Steelhead and really all salmonoids all over Ont and all Great Lakes for over 15 yrs, and have done my share of walking to find a little gem of my own.
Being 34 yrs of age, Only over the last 15 have I been bit by the silvers, I have fished and won many bass tourneys in Ontario, aswell as chased Muskie to Crappie over my days, I am not fresh blood to the game.

I only asked about the "Cap" for I do not drive. I have done a ton of searching, and have read of the Vedder, Chilliwack, aswell as somany others, but thought somewhere that was easy access for the weekend.

C.C, let me know if you want my email addy?

Thanks again:

Float.

floatfishin

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 05:47:13 PM »

Oooops ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 06:05:22 PM »

Welcome to BC floatfishin.

Matt's post has good intention, I think he has been misunderstood as he does not know your background.

As mentioned by others, the Capilano River remains low and any increase in discharge will only happen when we get a large volume of rain. When that happens, it'd be worth giving it a go.

In the meantime, your best bet would be to focus on the Chilliwack River. Despite how seemingly crowded it may sound based on what you read on the forum, some leg work will lead you to spots that are not crowded. Not too sure what your 13' is rated, but it maybe too soft for the fish in that system. Anyway, give it a go this and next weekend as coho salmon fishing typically peaks around this period.

You may also want to look into fishing tributaries on the north side of the Fraser River between Maple Ridge and Harrison. These rivers typically have coho returning later than the Chilliwack River run (late October, November and part of December).

After salmon fishing, float fishing for trout, char and steelhead between December and April will also be very interesting. Lots to look forward to. Good luck.

floatfishin

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 06:28:55 PM »

Rodney: A million thanks, and if my response to Matt came off rude I do apologize. I am surely not against a walk for a day or 2 to find a less crowded area, but more or less where to begin is where I may be stumped. I do not drive, so for the most part, if I was to head t Chilliwack, next weekend, I would book a hotel in the area for the weekend and go from there.

I'm not much of a roe fisherman, most of my fish in Ont were on flies, jigs, of course the pink worms, and alot of other soft plastics.

I'm really glad to have found this site, and if there was anyoe who reads this post, and possibly would like to meet next weekend on The Chilliwack, or Vedder, as said before, I am fully geared, I.E Rod, waders, and tackle, I would be happy to pay for gas, lunch, even a cold pop after the days efforts.

Many thanks again to all!

Float.

floatfishin

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 06:36:12 PM »

Almost missed this:

Rodney, my 13' is a Raven IM6" It is a softrod, but most rivers in SE Ont are smaller rivers and we use anywhere from a 3lb lead to at most a 8lb flourocarbon lead under our floats. We desire a more noodle effect rod for the light leads to absorb the fishes power in smaller streams. Though the difference from BC To Ont I've heard is a huge difference. I use a center pin for all my float fishing in Ont. I plan to head shopping tomorrow, so in the Surrey/Van area, does anyone recomend a retailer? Or are there any sponsers to this site I might be able to head into?

Tight Lines:

Float.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 06:54:38 PM »

Re: Retail store. Since you are in Surrey and rely on public transportation, perhaps Pacific Angler at Broadway and Cambie is your best option. You can just catch the skytrain to Downtown and switch to the Richmond/Airport line and get off at City Hall/Cambie.

Also, just to add a few items to my previous post's recommendations. In Surrey, it is also worth looking into the small river systems. There are few in your area (Serpentine, Little Campbell, etc). All have some anadromous salmonid populations. Your setup would also work great in these streams.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 06:56:03 PM »

I have used 4 lb a few times over the years (summers on a smaller flow) but usually my leaders range from 8-12lb....that noodle rod may be a little light for the ved with its big stinky whites and chum mixed in with the coho.  and in the heavy winter flows i wont hesitate to throw on 12 lb leader for the steelhead.  I think you will find a rod rate around 15-20lb on the top end would be a good choice.  your noodle rod would be perfect for the cap or seymour though.

floatfishin

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 07:01:04 PM »

Gooey, and Rodney: Thanks so much guys!!! If there is anyway I may repay this kind info favor, I.E Any Bass tips or anyone travelin to Ont, please do not hesitae to ask for help!!!

Rodney, I think I will spend this weekend tryin the smaller systems this way, and travel to "Pacific Angler" Tomorrow afterwork, I will be working in North Van.

Thanks so much again gang!

My best regards:

Float.

minsyoo

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 07:38:22 PM »

Float, I can't quite be of any help right now, because I live part time in Seattle, and the rest in BC. But in a couple months, I'll be moving up to Richmond permanently, and being a novice angler, I'd love to have someone accompany me, keep active on this forum and I'll let you know!  :D

And good on you for finding this forum, I've been on several forums for bc fishing, and this is the best one. hands down.

noxcape

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 07:49:21 PM »

hey float dont give up on the bass fishing out here buddy there out here there are some great bass waters out here in bc
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 08:06:11 PM by Rodney »

Eskimo

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 09:35:16 PM »

Hey floatfishin,  Welcome to BC.  I grew up in S. Ontario, and learned to river fish all over the Georgian Bay and Lake Huron tribs and rivers.  You are from SE Ont?  I'm thinking Lake Ontario streams...  I remember seeing many centre pin reels in Ontario long before they caught on here in BC.  Personally, I think your long rod and an 8 lb leader would do fine out here, though you would be in for a long tussle with a big Chinook, Chum or large steelhead.  And that fight is really the difference in styles out here, as we have "wild" and "test tube" babies, (hatchery).  A long fight with a wild fish can almost kill it, and as you have probably already heard, wild fish for some species need to be released.  So the west coast style tends to be beefier rods.  If you have ever fished Port Hope on opening day, you have fished the Vedder River on an October weekend.  Patience and courtesy, well, you probably know how it is done...  I have drifted away, (sorry, bad pun), from gear fishing into more fly and spey fishing.  But fishing eggs, (real or artificial), under split shots, under a float, work every bit as good out here, though not as common a technique.  I think you'll find that you are going to find that you are not really a "fish out of water" out here...  (sorry, another bad joke)....

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 10:48:20 PM »

Its in your profile lol

I was only kidding about the snagging part.  The Seymour is probably a better bet and has bigger coho and chum boot (again, not literally ;D).

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 11:20:24 PM »

If you are in North Van, go see Dave at Highwater Tackle on lower Lonsdale (between 1st and 2nd on the west side).  Great guy and should be more than happy to help guide you in the right direction for gear etc....