Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sasamat lake help  (Read 4066 times)

michaeld

Sasamat lake help
« on: November 07, 2004, 02:36:30 PM »

Im heading up there next week can anyone tell me what to use to catch some trout and a set up i have no clue what lbs is my line should i change it and i got a walleye special rod 6 foot. is that a bad rod? for trout? thanks:)

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Sasamat lake help
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 03:23:15 PM »

hey use 6-4 lb pound test line.Float  with a small hook shrimp or egg works well there.your rod will be ok there just use light line :ogood luck

michaeld

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 04:12:45 PM »

how would u hook the egg on the hook ???

Thanks dead head :) what size hook works? and did the lake get stocked yet thanks!

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 04:33:43 PM »

I think hes talking about those plastic jenson eggs...you could just hook them on.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 04:48:47 PM »

Two techniques that you can try out... First have your reel spooled with 4lb test line.

1) Thread a small float onto the line (and I mean, small! size of your thumb). Have the float fixed at around 3 to 4 feet above the end of the line. Clamp on a couple of small split shots near the end of the line. Tie a swivel onto the end of the line, tie another foot of 4lb line onto that swivel, then tie a #6 hook onto the end of that line. Cast it out, wait, set the hook when float goes down.

2) Do the same as above but don't thread the float onto the line. Cast it out, slowly retrieve your line and set the hook when the fish bites.

Bait: Single Jensen eggs (yes, plastic orange ones that you can buy in a jar). Cooked shrimps, roe...

michaeld

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 05:05:30 PM »

Wow thanks alot! :) when does sasamat get stocked anyway?

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 07:04:05 PM »

Here you could check stocking dates :)

http://www.fishwizard.com/

Hung

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 07:36:33 PM »

Doesn't look like any of the local lakes get stocked this Autumn.  FishWizard said Sasamat and Bunzen were stock Sep, Oct, Nov and Dec last 2 years, but not this year!  I wouldn't try Sasamat unless you want to enjoy a beautiful lake and don't care about catching fish. 

If you really want to catch something, go down to Belcara fishing pier and catch little shiners just for fun.  Use a really small hooks with shrimp or chicken.  It took my kids there in September and had non-stop fun C&R shiners.

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004, 08:13:39 PM »

Go to bunzen lake, its far easier fishing there.  Just cast a sliding weight rig out with a 3-4 foot leader baited with enough powerbait so it floats and wait.  Always catches fish for me.

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2004, 09:47:46 PM »

I like to use real singles salmon eggs,that I make myself they work much better then jesen eggs ::) ::)