Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harbour seals rebound on coast  (Read 3972 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Harbour seals rebound on coast
« on: March 03, 2009, 03:51:46 PM »

If there's one thing that gets my dander up, it's fishing next to a seal.

Harbour seals rebound on coast

Population has risen 10-fold since Ottawa began protecting the mammal, study says

By Larry Pynn, Vancouver SunMarch 3, 2009

The population of harbour seals has increased 10-fold to an estimated 105,000 on the B.C. coast since the federal government afforded the marine mammal protection from commercial harvest and bounties in 1970.

A new study by Fisheries and Oceans Canada found that the population has stabilized after decades of growth and appears to have returned to historic levels of more than a century ago.

The highest densities of harbour seals -- 13.1 seals per kilometre of shoreline -- occur inside the protected waters of the Strait of Georgia and compare with an average 2.6 seals per km outside.

The report by Peter Olesiuk, a federal marine biologist based in Nanaimo, notes the recovery of harbour seals has "renewed concerns over conflicts with fisheries and the impact of seals on fish stocks." But it also states that the "feeding habits of harbour seals and their role in the ecosystem are still poorly known" and that more research is required on their diet, foraging patterns, and energy requirements.

Studies in the Strait of Georgia indicate that while harbour seals are opportunistic predators, hake and herring account for about 75 per cent of their total diet.

Olesiuk said in an interview Monday that those two stocks are relatively healthy and may be able to support the seal population without problems. "There's a lot of places where we have large numbers of seals and they're not a conservation concern," he confirmed.

The greater issue involves a relatively few seals that target depressed fish stocks in estuaries and river mouths, he said. Seals have been culled on the Puntledge River on Vancouver Island to protect adult fish returning to their spawning grounds and juvenile fish going out to the ocean.

Olesiuk said it is also important to note that transient killer whales have benefited from increased numbers of harbour seals, their main prey source. Resident killer whales in comparison are fish-eaters.

The report states that harbour seals may be used as a general indicator of the status of marine ecosystems in the north Pacific, including a sentinel for chemical contaminants in high-level predators.

Harbour seals were over-hunted for their commercial pelts during 1879-1914 and 1962-1968, the report says. Bounty payments offered for predator control during 1914-1964 maintained populations below natural levels.

Harbour seals received protection under the federal Fisheries Act in 1970; aerial surveys at about that time estimated their numbers at 10,000 on the B.C. coast. The latest study found that the 105,000 harbour seals in B.C. in 2008 utilized almost 1,400 haul-out sites to rest, moult, and give birth.

Aboriginal people continue to hunt seals on a limited basis, not enough to affect their populations.

In a separate study, the Washington state department of fish and wildlife analysed the contents of 398 samples of harbour seals' feces from 17 sites in the San Juan Islands. It found evidence of 32 prey species, but found herring 57 per cent of the time, adult salmon 19 per cent, and walleye pollock 15 per cent.

The B.C. population represents almost one-third of the estimated 360,000 harbour seals in the northeast Pacific. Harbour seals are generally found on the coast within 20 km of land, but are known to range as far as 250 km up the Skeena River and 500 km up the Fraser River.

lpynn@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Riverman

• old fart
Re: Harbour seals rebound on coast
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 06:42:22 AM »

It' too bad they didn't make sure the salmon and steelhead populations were returned to historic levels before the seals.IMHO  :'(
Riverman

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 03:18:22 PM »

It' too bad they didn't make sure the salmon and steelhead populations were returned to historic levels before the seals.IMHO  :'(

They definitely put the cart before the horse  :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 03:32:55 PM »

I wonder if an open season on them would ever be possible, and if restrictions of what we could kill them with would apply. I would be very interested.  :)
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

yamadirt 426

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 03:38:19 PM »

I wonder if an open season on them would ever be possible, and if restrictions of what we could kill them with would apply. I would be very interested.  :)

mmmmm seal. I'm a new hunter and would love to have a crack at these guys too.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 03:50:47 PM »

They don't really need an open season though... they need to manage specific areas and have culls that have biologist study support so they can deal with it effectively..i'd *think* anyways...

Besides, you can't shoot from a boat.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 04:04:29 PM »

They sure spend a lot of time on the beaches though  ;)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 04:42:59 PM »

Very true.  I wouldn't think there would be a lot of beaches you could shoot at though, would there?  Most of the sand up the west coast has been either claimed or is part of a park now isn't it?  Honest question as I don't really know...but it'd be my guess...

yamadirt 426

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 04:54:30 PM »

They don't really need an open season though... they need to manage specific areas and have culls that have biologist study support so they can deal with it effectively..i'd *think* anyways...

As far as duck hunting is concered you can shoot from a boat as long as your not under power and the motor is lifted out of the water. Duck hunters use their boats as blinds. Would this rule not be the same

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 06:07:26 PM »

No, you can't....(unless I'm missing something?)  This just applies to migratory birds (ducks included) but I would imagine similar laws would be in effect for seals and any other animal.

From the law:  no person shall hunt a migratory bird (e) from any aircraft, sailboat, power boat, or motorized vehicle, or any vehicle to which a draught animal is attached. 

Thats directly from the dept. of justice Canada.  There may be a special provision or it may just be common practice to allow it if the motor is lifted out but the law so far as I can see doesn't say anything to that effect.  Considering the consequences I'd want to check first! :)  It seems like common sense that fishing from a blind would be fine as long as the motor was lifted though....?  My guess is Chris would know a lot about this topic.

I was fishing the harrison and a bunch of drunk guys in a jet boat came screaming around kilby under the train bridge, shooting at diving ducks from the bow doing about 40miles an hour....idiots.  They got one too....they didn't deserve it, thats for sure.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 06:22:51 PM by marmot »

yamadirt 426

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 09:08:47 PM »

No, you can't....(unless I'm missing something?)  This just applies to migratory birds (ducks included) but I would imagine similar laws would be in effect for seals and any other animal.

From the law:  no person shall hunt a migratory bird (e) from any aircraft, sailboat, power boat, or motorized vehicle, or any vehicle to which a draught animal is attached. 

Thats directly from the dept. of justice Canada.  There may be a special provision or it may just be common practice to allow it if the motor is lifted out but the law so far as I can see doesn't say anything to that effect.  Considering the consequences I'd want to check first! :)  It seems like common sense that fishing from a blind would be fine as long as the motor was lifted though....?  My guess is Chris would know a lot about this topic.

I was fishing the harrison and a bunch of drunk guys in a jet boat came screaming around kilby under the train bridge, shooting at diving ducks from the bow doing about 40miles an hour....idiots.  They got one too....they didn't deserve it, thats for sure.

Well I would have to double check as I asked my instructor this specific question when I took my core in Jan. He said as long as the leg is out of the water before shooting its legal. Those guys you described should be taken off the water. 

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 09:15:03 PM »

Well I would have to double check as I asked my instructor this specific question when I took my core in Jan. He said as long as the leg is out of the water before shooting its legal. Those guys you described should be taken off the water. 
[/quote]

Yeah, my guess would be that although illegal (?) it's one that they let slide as long as you are responsible about it...but just a guess.  And ya, it was a pretty poor show of sportsmanship let alone common decency.

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 05:13:36 PM »

bow hunting would also be interesting   :)
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

magwart

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 11:40:53 PM »

you can hunt out of a boat as long as the engine isnt running... every duck or goose hunter with a punt does it every day, you can use your engine to chase cripples too

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 09:06:39 AM »

Yeah I'm sure this is the case but I can only find something saying the opposite in the regs.  Magwart how do you know thats the case though does it state that in the regs or is that just common practice among hunters that has become accepted?  I'm just curious at this point...it makes sense really that it would be the case that you could use your motor to get where you were going to hunt and then "turn" your boat into a blind.  Thanks for entertaining the question..