Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser, Richmond September 7th  (Read 2367 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Lower Fraser, Richmond September 7th
« on: September 07, 2005, 08:28:51 PM »

I started a bit later today as work is starting to pile up after many days of fishing... :-[ When I arrived at the river at around 5:00pm, lucky was sitting there alone drinking his pop and watching the river. I asked why he wasn't fishing, he said they were not biting but he was having fun watching the fish going by. ;D Waves of pink salmon were on the move once again, but none could be enticed by the lures. It's usually not until the tide reaches a certain height that triggers the fish to hit the lures.

I quickly started fishing, I could see fishersak, perch and his dad fishing further down the river. A quick phone call to perch produced the same report, no fish were caught.

On my fifth cast, a large doe grabbed my spoon just several feet from shore. ;) lucky was feeling unlucky now. ;D He came over and gave me a hand with the netting, and first fish was beached, five minutes into my fishing day! :o

The next little while, a lot of hits and misses. Finally today I was able to hook more fish, by really slowing down the retrieve and fishing deeper as well.

In total, I managed to hook seven and land three fish. I kept two females as they were fairly large. :)

I'll let the other guys to report their catches today. Perch had a big smile when I saw him near the end. ;D

See? They are coming! ;)

Few things to remember
  • You need a tidal sportfishing licence when fishing in the tidal Fraser River.
  • You need to purchase a salmon conservation stamp if you intend to keep your pink salmon.
  • Daily quota for pink salmon is four fish in tidal Fraser River.
  • Daily quota for chinook salmon is four fish in tidal Fraser River, but only one maybe over 50cm.
  • You may only keep four salmon (mixed species) in total per day.
  • Only a single barbless hook is allowed on the lure.
  • Bait ban is in effect between September 6th and October 7th
  • You must release any sockeye and wild coho carefully.
  • Pink salmon have large oval spots on their back and tail. Sockeye salmon do not have spots. Chinook salmon have tiny black spots on its back and tail.
  • Complete tidal Fraser River salmon regulations can be found on this page.
  • Report all fishing violations to DFO Steveston 604-664-9250.
  • Make sure you have a good fillet knife to clean your catch and a cooler with ice to keep your it fresh.
[/size]

lowlight

Re: Lower Fraser, Richmond September 7th
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 08:31:19 PM »

I'll be out there every day from now on :D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 08:31:28 PM »

There got to be something your doing and we are not.  I was there 2 to 4 no luck. so came back to office to work.  :-\

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 08:33:39 PM »

Just wondering when the next fishing seminar will be? think I might have to sign up and take notes :-\ No fish for me today, fellow beside me hooked and landed two near the end of the night. Rodney even donated one of his spoons, but even that couldnt help me catch a fish. O well theres always tomorrow.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 08:46:02 PM »

Hey Lucky we're too old. Rodney would not want us in his clas :'(.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 09:21:31 PM »

Very nice fish rodney , do you smoke your pinks?
[

xiahb

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 09:35:21 PM »

Hi Rodney:

Would you tell me where did you fish? I started fishing salmon this year and caught nothing. Maybe I should go to your spot for fishing.

Thank you.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 09:38:04 PM »

Someone just emailed me that he was fishing the same spot and found a pair of reading glasses in case anyone lost a pair... (Chrome Mykiss, Chrome Mykiss' dad, Perch, Perch's dad, fishersak)? Must be one of you since you didn't find as many fish. ;D

No wonder there were so many fish coming in today, you didn't intercept them downstream from us Bwi Bwi. ;D

Perch

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 10:35:00 PM »

nope... me and daddy didnt lose no reading glasses today.  Ya, I m pretty happy for my performance today.  Hook around 7 fishes but manage to land 4, take home 3.  So it was a good day for me, since I havent be able to land any for at least 5 days now.  Dad didnt have no luck fishing beside me either, got a few hits but no hook up at all.  Fishersak did quite a few hook ups but just didnt manage to land any.  Well.....sometime is just not your day, thats all I can say.  It was mine today hehe ;D  Cheers!
fake it until u make it.....

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 08:14:47 AM »

I seem to be having alot of those days....must improve my skills.....

Wool Bandit

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 08:15:34 AM »

I fished the Fort Langley area by boat on Tuesday for the better part of the day and things were slow. I managed to land two pinks on the fly and my partner brought one to the boat. We fished some great spots, but the fish really were not there. We both expected to do much better :'(. I made well over 100 casts and didn't have a whole lot to show for it! It is still early and the fishing will only get better from here on.

Double Underhooks

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 09:42:03 AM »

Hey Lucky,

I was fishing around where you were, saw the guy to the West of you land one of his 2 fishes before I move to the spot East of you. Didn't know that its was you until talking to Rod later. Next time I'll say hi  :)

Sign me up for classes too  ;D