Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hook sizes  (Read 1326 times)

dave c

hook sizes
« on: March 10, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »

Recently got back into serious fishing after about a 20year hiatus (devil game - golf).  Used to do serious steelheading on Lake Huron, Lake Ontario tributaries.  Back then it was common practice to use a #10 single egg eagle claw hook.  If memory serves me right we were allowed to keep wilds, which was good considering the number of times the steelhead actually swallowed the egg and hook.  Have yet to see anyone using such a small hook here and I have no desire to start using them for that very reason, however just wondering if there are any regs that would restrict the use of such a small hook.

Bandit420

Re: hook sizes
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 04:06:18 PM »

Nope, no restrictions on hook size. Just as long as you are using a single barbless hook, you are good to go. I wouldnt use any hook smaller than a size 4 for steelhead.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

dave c

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 04:09:18 PM »

I wouldnt use any hook smaller than a size 4 for steelhead.
Nor would I, and definitely don't want to give anyone the idea to but proved very effective in crystal clear water

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:03:46 PM »

Due to relatively fast water flow, turbidity and low water temperature, west coast winter steelhead in general are not hook shy IMO. In winter, I use size 2 to 1/0 hooks depending on bait size and kind of water fished.