Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: would you like that supersized?  (Read 2285 times)

dan-o

would you like that supersized?
« on: June 17, 2011, 11:11:27 PM »

many of you may have seen this but if not check out this link:

http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/03/university-of-rhode-island-make.html

i might be afraid to get this on my line.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
Re: would you like that supersized?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 02:13:41 PM »

That's really gross  :-X
- John A.

coho13

• fish forever and forever fish
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 04:16:39 PM »

mmmmmmmmm can you belive people eat those ???? :-\

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »

Who funds this insanity! stop messing with nature please.
[

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 08:21:52 PM »

Thats just wrong!! :o
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 11:01:28 PM »

we eat that and we will have things growing out of us. terrible. why not just spend the time and money on natural conservation and development??wtf?? :P :P

markst

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 11:37:52 PM »

Last I heard, genetically modified salmon is already awaiting approval in the States. I believe it would be the first genetically modified animal food product. Seems a little scary to me. There already has been attempts to modify cattle and pigs but there were problems with susceptibility to disease and the inability to reproduce. I'm sure it won't be long though. I wonder where all the research money comes from?

Labman55

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 04:32:14 PM »

Not going to happen in the U.S. now!

The U.S. Congress has voted to block the approval of genetically-modified salmon produced in part on Prince Edward Island, but the vote is not expected to stop sale of the fish.

AquaBounty, a U.S.-based company, is nearing the end of what has been a 15-year process to have its salmon approved for sale as food in the States. The salmon is engineered to grow twice as fast as normal salmon. The eggs would be produced on P.E.I., and the fish would be reared in Panama.

Last week, that process appeared to hit a snag when 10 members of the House of Representatives managed to place an amendment in a draft bill that would stop the review by the Food and Drug Administration. Aqua Bounty CEO Ron Stotish told CBC News Tuesday he's astonished a handful of people can sidetrack a 15-year science-based review.

"This is really more of a public relations ploy and an attempt to generate negative publicity," said Stotish.

Stotish and other experts don't believe this amendment will affect the process in the end. The FDA decision could come before the bill is passed, or the amendment might not survive the final vote.

The Atlantic Salmon Federation's Andy Goode expects politicking over the genetically modified fish will continue.

"This is just really the shot across the bow, so to speak, in this debate," said Goode.

The P.E.I.-based environmental group Earth Action believes the fish are a risk to environment, and co-founder Sharon Labchuk was happy to hear of the company's frustrations.

"It's taking a lot longer than Aqua Bounty bargained for, and I don't think they've seen the end it yet, even if this bill isn't as successful as the proponents would like it to be," said Labchuk.

AquaBounty stock took a big bounce on news of the vote, falling almost 50 per cent, but it had regained almost all of what it lost by Tuesday.

External Links

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/pei/us-congress-votes-to-block-gm-salmon
Aquabounty