Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting lower Fraser Chum to bite...  (Read 2162 times)

swimmingwiththefishes

Getting lower Fraser Chum to bite...
« on: October 25, 2013, 07:41:55 PM »

Not sure if it was the clarity or the factory sounds nearby, but I was casting into them and threw all I got: prawn scented jigs, red crocs, spinners, the works, they weren't having any of it.

Might go back to my spot and chuck Roe, but not sure if that would really work well.

Water is typical lower (like below New West) dirty water.

Any tips?

Trophy Tackle

• Trophy Tackle
Re: Getting lower Fraser Chum to bite...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:25:02 PM »

Try larger profile jigs.  Purple/Pink has worked for me in the past.  One major factor is the depth.  Most spots in the lower fraser are quite deep, especially on the high tide.  You have to find the depth they're traveling at.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 09:54:48 PM »

I was out there today after work. I was at the same spot where I caught my big chum. Although I used the same lure to catch my chum on Sunday, I didn't get any solid hookups, just two bites and the fish spat out my lure - it could have been the fish bit the upper snap swivel area and the fish was just holding on. I spoke to a guy who helped me land the large chum thanks to his net, and he told me that he caught one coho today. Although I didn't ask him what he was using, I saw him using a large red and white Dardevle style spoon.

Water clarity was good and the colour was light green, while the weather was overcast.

losos

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 01:09:20 PM »

I was out there today after work. I was at the same spot where I caught my big chum. Although I used the same lure to catch my chum on Sunday, I didn't get any solid hookups, just two bites and the fish spat out my lure - it could have been the fish bit the upper snap swivel area and the fish was just holding on. I spoke to a guy who helped me land the large chum thanks to his net, and he told me that he caught one coho today. Although I didn't ask him what he was using, I saw him using a large red and white Dardevle style spoon.

Water clarity was good and the colour was light green, while the weather was overcast.

Roe is a killer for chums,I never had them reject my offer.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 03:08:52 PM »

I don't have fresh roe with me, though I've used Luhr Jensen Gooey Bobs/egg clusters and I used it with yarn in the past at Stave River to catch my first chum many years ago.

Anyone here use Gooey Bobs/egg clusters? I've noticed that Luhr Jensen doesn't make them anymore, but strangely, Gibbs is selling it under the Gooey Bob name.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 03:16:00 PM by Long_Cast »

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 09:16:30 PM »

I always catch nice Chum in the lower Fraser every year while targeting Coho.  They absolutely bite the same spinners and spoons
as coho do.  The key in my opinion, is to keep changing colours until you find what they want - I mean really put in a lot of effort and sometimes it pays off.  That being said, you can throw the kitchen sink at them and they won't bit some days