Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Radio Licensing..  (Read 2335 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Radio Licensing..
« on: August 23, 2005, 10:36:21 PM »

I am thinking of buying long range radios for fishing and hunting... Not the FRS system but ones that work at a longer range similair to a CB.  Was wondering if anyone could reccomend a brand and model .....

Also the big question is do we require Licensing for this..... How much is it and where do you get it...
see ya on the river

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Re: Radio Licensing..
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 07:57:23 AM »

some of you boys must have these in your boats.... you would know.... Need to know as i am going hunting with my dad and i want to have contact with him for his safety...
see ya on the river

stormrider

• I LOVE LOVE LOVE to fish
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 08:06:49 AM »

You may be talking about the VHF Marine Radios.  I have one in my boat and a hand held....Atlantis .... Uniden....it'll run you a couple hundred dollars for each set.  As far as I know you don't need a license to use them.  No one I know on the lake has licenses and neither do I.

Nikko

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 09:12:44 AM »

I believe you DO need a license to operate a marine VHF. Even a hand held.....

"VHF Operator's license: Any person who uses the radio to transmit must have a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Certificate (ROC)."

CDN Power Squadron is the outfit licensed by the feds to grant licenses but I think you can take the course through several organizations.

There is also a requirement to have the actual radio (system) licensed in some boats and I believe (most) pleasure boats radios are exempt from this.

Nikko

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 04:58:27 PM »

I believe you will need a license for VHF/UHF and may have to take a test. Check this site out http://www.rac.ca/ which has some info. I personally just went with the cb because it seems more people have them and VHF/UHF radios can't communicate on CB frequencies so unless all your friends have em your screwed.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 07:05:32 PM »

I got my licence @ night school through the Vancouver School Board-piece o' cake.