Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder coho derby Oct. 2  (Read 3966 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Vedder coho derby Oct. 2
« on: September 30, 2004, 02:06:25 PM »

Oops! I accidentally removed the Vedder coho derby thread.... :-[

Johnny posted:

Hey all, here is the info for a derby a friend is putting on. Actually, Rod(the organizer) was the guy that took that picture of Dragonspeeds first steelhead!

Here is the info:
Our Church is sponsoring a Coho Derby on the Chilliwack/Vedder River, Saturday Oct. 2 from dawn until 2 PM. The weigh in station is at Fred's Custom Tackle on Vedder Rd.
At 3 PM at the church, Central Pentecostal Assembly 9535 Williams St. in Chilliwack, the recognition and giving of prizes to the first, second and third largest coho's; plus the largest coho caught by a youth age 16 or under, and the hidden weight draw will happen. We will also have 5 prizes for children 6 and under that participate in the derby. There will also be an outdoor BBQ following the presenting of the prizes. Cost to enter the Coho Challenge and enjoy the BBQ is $5 per person and $15 per family. We are also making available fishing outfits for those who want to fish but don't have the equipment.
Prizes are being donated by our church, fishing tackle stores in the community, businesses and private donors. There are some quality prizes being presented at the Derby/Challenge. This is a first for our church and want it to be something positive for the whole family and community.
To purchase tickets or wanting more information you can contact myself, Rod at 604-308-3040 cell or 604-847-0271 home. Tickets for purchase will also be available at Hub's, Fred's Tackle and Chilliwack Dart & Tackle by this Monday.
If you know of anyone or business who would like to donate/sponsor a prize please let me know. Do consider participating in this event.

johnny

Re: Vedder coho derby Oct. 2
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 07:06:48 AM »

Thanks for re-posting it Rodney!

Here is a bit more info:

Prizes are great!
1st Prize Largest Coho........G. Loomis GL2 Graphite Rod 10'6" with Quantum Cabo level wind reel filled with 20 lb. Maxima UltraGreen line; value $600.00
2nd Prize 2nd Largest Coho....Bare Kodiak waterproof Hooded Jacket; value $270.00
3rd Prize 3rd Largest Coho...Shimano Borona Expandable Tackle Bag with 4 Plano boxes; value $100.00

Hidden Weight Draw Prize....Surprize!!!

Largest Coho by Youth 16 and under....Shimano Filet Knife and Vise Pliers with pouch.
Largest Coho caught on the Fly...Fly box with 12 Coho-Steelhead Flies
Hats and Tee-Shirts for First Time Coho Fisherpersons
Prizes for Children 6 and Under.

Tonight for any beginner, a free coho fishing clinic.
On Oct. 1 Friday night at 7:30 PM we are having an evening for those going into the derby where there will be instruction on how to fish for coho on the river. Everything from how to tie egg loops, bait, fly or lure selection, use of spinning rods..level wind rods...fly fishing etc., selecting the right holding water to locate coho, how to release fish, pinching barbs, and so on.
It will a general information and instruction time. We will have maps of the river for those not familar with the system and give direction to better river access and fishing conditions for those with little children who want to fish We will also have fishing rod setups for those who do not have the right gear for coho fishing to borrow for the day.
There will be coffee and soft drinks and Tim Horton's for those attending.
There will also be some fishermen who will make themselves available to assist those new to coho fishing with instructions on the river, Saturday.
If you are interested in coming to this session or know someone who would benefit, please contact me, Rod, at 604-308-3040. The location for this event is in the basement of our church, Central Pentecostal Assembly at 9535 Williams St. in Chilliwack, one block north of Yale Rd.
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 10:29:27 PM »

You're welcome Johnny. So, who's going into the derby tomorrow? Who should I put my money on? Deadhead? ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 04:38:02 PM »

Anybody know the results of the derby ?

d_w

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 04:58:54 PM »

Fishing Is life the rest Is just details

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 07:17:17 PM »

Only 1 coho ?

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 07:42:12 PM »

I think there were only three Coho weighed in at Freds all day.