Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Winter Harbor Missing Boat  (Read 7954 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Re: Winter Harbor Missing Boat
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 01:54:07 PM »

My most sincere apologies. My Friend and myself were fed erroneous information when I made the post above. I do not yet know what the motive for that was, but it certainly was not funny in any way. My error was in being a little too quick to believe what I was told, and then I furthered that by posting before I could confirm. For this I humbly apologize, especially to the Families and friends.

I have been at sea every day since and have not heard any further news than they did find the boat, rolled over and well offshore. I would appreciate it if anyone here that has any further news please fill me in. I am still holding faint hope...

Embarrassed,
Matt

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 02:09:34 PM »

Matt,

No need to apologize.  In situations like this people want answers as quickly as possible - whether they be the GOOD or BAD.

Good wishes from the mainland.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 03:46:14 PM »

the boat was 6 miles offshore with anchor down,my understanding is that these guides drop down chum bags go salmon fishing then return drop anchor and jig for halibut. that would explain one reason the anchor was down ,or it could have gone down after the boat turned over.

cohojoe

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 05:31:54 PM »

i hope this sad situation changes the way amatuer and professional boaters deal with the west coast waters.     I certainly respect the waters anywhere.    I fell into the skagit ( doing something foolish )  from my pontoon boat.    No life jacket  ;  it was on the boat but too hot to wear it.

What saved me was my arm brushed up against the steel frame as I was going under and I grabbed it.   in my other hand was my rod which i did not want to lose.    i managed to flipper my body up and crawl slowly back into the boat.    fortunately my boat was anchored which prevented it from flipping over on  top of me.    that would be a disaster because there is little chance to right it while sinking without my lifejacket.   now i  wear that hot lifejacket every time i go out on the waters.     maybe time for a  s.o.s.  suspenders that inflate as soon as you hit the waters.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 07:33:51 PM »

From an eye witness report I was given yesterday, when the boat was brought in to Winter Harbour the fish that had been caught before the unfortunate incident were still on board.

We will never know what happened.