Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tsawwassen commercial crab opening.  (Read 1755 times)

fishyfish

Tsawwassen commercial crab opening.
« on: May 03, 2008, 10:23:20 PM »

Hello,

I was out at Tsawwassen  today and much to my surprise and dismay a commercial crabber was out. He must of had 500 traps out. I have never seen so many bouys in one area. He covered from just inside the ferry strip to the American side. He covered from 50ft. to over 100 ft.of water.  I was always under the impression they were not allowed in there until the end of June beginning of July. I have never seen them there this early in the year. Does anyone know if there is an official opening and closing?  Something tells me they were not first nations. He will probably pick them up tommorrow (Sunday). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

NFM

Re: Tsawwassen commercial crab opening.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 11:01:55 PM »

500 traps ? get stronger glasses and take another look cuz no one will be fishing 500 traps not even a commercial fisherman, but to help you out it would be a natvie fisherman, as this is there time to fish, but are you sure he was on the american side ? or was it the boarder line?I wouldnt be too worried as no one in there rite mind would be poaching with that much gear in the middle of the day on a saturday.

fishyfish

Re: Tsawwassen commercial crab opening.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 11:10:43 PM »

If  you state it is first nation opening time.When is Native opening, commercial opening and closing  etc?  I wont argue about how many traps were there because it doesn't really matter. All I am saying is it covered a massive area that was covered in floats. The commercial I have seen in the past will have a couple of floats at one end then a long stretch and floats back about maybe 200 ft. These had floats about ever 20 ft. Anyway I am not concerned about the amount traps or floats etc. I would just like to know when the native and commercial openings are. Thank you. Also I couldn't say if they were on the American side or not, that really isn't my concern. That thought entered my mind about them not poaching with that much gear on the line on a Saturday. I agree.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 11:14:19 PM by fishyfish »