Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WOW! Nice fish!  (Read 4173 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
http://

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: WOW! Nice fish!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 07:36:38 PM »

beauty but looks like they are using nose to tail tip measurements again....
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 09:58:49 PM »

Fork length of 10' 7", 56" girth. It's a big 'un.
Long nose is indicative of an upper Fraser Valley fish.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 10:02:04 PM by typhoon »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 10:03:14 PM »

Regardless how they measured it, it's still quite a specimen. Surprising it has escaped capture til now.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 01:35:17 PM »

can the tag be tracked? or is it just a identification number. would be interesting to see the range of a specimen like that.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 02:55:44 PM »

can the tag be tracked? or is it just a identification number. would be interesting to see the range of a specimen like that.
It can only be tracked when the fish is caught. The reader needs to be within a few inches of the tag.
It doesn't have GPS or store location.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 05:52:07 PM »

Too bad that so many of the real giants were killed in the bad old days. I remember going down to the docks in Mission and seeing anywhere from one to four huge sturgeon tied up alive and waiting to go to market in New West. The commercial guys fished for them at night. We are lucky the dinos have survived.

Ambassador

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 11:50:04 AM »

Wow! What a fish.
I have never fished for Sturgeon but really do have to question why they are wearing their waders while fishing off a boat? I know they need to jump in the water to secure the massive beast for the picture, but this seems very dangerous. Saw a guy trolling from his boat at Buntzen a couple weeks ago wearing his also.  :o
Water comes in the top, fills in the bottoms, turns you into an anchor, and you drown. What am I missing?

"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »

Waterproofing and weather resistance. Use a waist belt to keep your waders from filling with water.
I can (and have) swum in my waders.

Ambassador

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 02:50:05 PM »

I can (and have) swum in my waders.
My waders have see a lot of use, but if you see me swimming in them, please throw a rope or tell my mom I love her.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

work2fish

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 05:42:52 PM »

Wow! What a fish.
I have never fished for Sturgeon but really do have to question why they are wearing their waders while fishing off a boat? I know they need to jump in the water to secure the massive beast for the picture, but this seems very dangerous. Saw a guy trolling from his boat at Buntzen a couple weeks ago wearing his also.  :o
Water comes in the top, fills in the bottoms, turns you into an anchor, and you drown. What am I missing?

The water inside your waders doesn't effect your buoyancy like an anchor (water inside is the same as the water outside), it can make it awkward or difficult, especially if there is current and if the water is freezing you're still at risk of shock.  Personally I find the bit of air trapped inside makes you a bit more buoyant in my simms, and neoprene ones are a bit more buoyant.  Just do up your belt, and you'll be fine.  You can always check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmR3oqPzcjE   Now getting out of the water with water filled waders is a different story as now you're dealing with the weight in air....