Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jones Lake - July 2, 2006  (Read 1123 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Jones Lake - July 2, 2006
« on: July 02, 2006, 08:54:02 PM »

Happy Canada Day everybody (oh - that was yesterday). Anyway, FishFinder and I were planning on hitting the interior this weekend and we ended up fishing at Jones Lake. I was worried that this hot streak of weather would have turned the interior lakes off. So - after overanalyzing the situation, I agreed to FF's recommendation to give Jones a try. Considering that I've never fished there - I was open to the new experience.

We hit the water at about 9:00 AM with fly rods all good to go. The sun was out - but there was a bit of wind later in the afternoon. Hit several trout on flies using a type 3 sink line. FF landed a beauty 18 inch cutty. After a few snaps and a nice release, I got a nice hit. At first, there was a little head shaking. Then it felt like a log! After reeling in what I thought could be a big piece of driftwood, the head shakes came back, and the "log" wouldn't come closer to my tube. It turned out to be a 22+ inch cutty that wouldn't fit into my net. I did "land" the fish, with half of its body (tail end) hanging out of the net. After removing the hook, the fish just slipped out of the net and was gone before FF could snap the photo. No worries. I just released the largest cutty I've ever hooked...   

We fished until about 2:30 and decided to call it a day. All in all, it was an enjoyable day on the water. Thanks for the great trip FF - as always!

BTW - productive flies included leeches, careys, and halfback/fullback variations... ;)

Mod: Fixed to avoid confusion. :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 09:02:42 PM by Rodney »

woodscamper

Re: Jones Lake - July 2, 2006
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 09:48:01 PM »

Did you find a C&R net???? I lost mine there 2 weeks ago...

sigh....

McWhackit

• fishing is life, all else is details.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 06:41:54 AM »

How is the road up? I have'nt been too Jones for a few years but I remember the first kilometer or so being a little sketchy.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 05:35:45 PM »

Hey woodscamper - I should have brought my big C&R net (I use this for the Interior trout) - but figured I wouldn't need it.  That was a mistake!  McWackit - the road up is a gravel road full of pot holes.  It was rough going up - my buddy had a 4 by 4 truck and we took it slow.  There were cars up top - but I wouldn't risk bringing my own car up there.  I do have a small SUV that might make it up there - but I'm not in a rush to do so...