Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: local salt report  (Read 2921 times)

allwaysfishin

local salt report
« on: July 02, 2005, 03:14:46 PM »

well, this report will be quite general but here goes:

best action right now seems to be active pass, for springs, trolling chovies from 80 to 200 feet. coyote spoons are running a close second in that area.
Thrasher rock has also been seeing fairly consistant action with a 50/50 mix of spoons and chovies being the ticket for these springs. depths are ranging from 60 to 120ft
Pt Grey has had a lot of undersize springs milling about for a while now and a few decent reports of coho are starting to come in over past couple days. again anchovies are the ticket but coyote and gypsy spoons are a good bet as well.
A few sporadic reports from the Bowen Isl. area, tunstall bay and cowan point with a mix of undersize and springs to high teens low twenties.
Ambleside/cap coho have not shown in the numbers we would hope to see by this time of year but with them showing a little at pt grey, they gotta be on thier way any time now. best bets for these small coho are 4.5 inch anchovie, mini or squirt hoochies in white, glo, or purple haze as well as the gypsy paddy wagon and the silver haze.
I have heard the odd report from the howe sound area but nothing solid enough to post, so.....
your emails are allways welcome
and i'll add them to these reports ( edited of course)

Rod has asked me to try and provide you all with a consistant salt report, not sure if this is what you had in mind rod but for now, hope this helps ya' all
tight lines
allwaysfishin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: local salt report
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 03:39:30 PM »

Appreciate the report Thomas

salmon assasin

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 04:34:31 PM »

hey thanks Thomas,
Good Report ;)
In your opinion would you hit the salt tomorrow or the river? and if so what bars/river? My dad and I are trying to decide where to go as there doesn't  seem to be consistant reports any where but across the straight (to far for a day trip) any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance  S.A.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 06:33:40 PM »

Thanks Always!
Very authoritative and useful info.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 07:03:03 PM »

i still have to see how rod wants this set up. Rod i'm off monday tuesday so email me and we'll get in touch for the details.
as far as me answering questions in this post, I just won't be able to keep up to that, but.....
salmon assasin , if i was going out tomorrow, i'd prolly hit pt grey area and along spanish banks/stanley park side of the inlet. last year the "biting" coho seemed to stick to that side. so for the springs a tight loop from QB marker north east of pt grey to the pt grey bell buoy, with chovies or coyote spoons keeping lines from 40 to 80 maybe 120 ft deep. purple haze, army truck glo or chartreusse splatter hoochies may be a good bet, but keep those for the shallower 40 to 60ft trolling depths.
for coho's try a smaller 4.5 to 5 inch anchovie in a purple haze anchovie head or mini hoochies in white, glo, or purple haze.
it ain't the gospel but gets you in the right direction
good luck
email me your report  ;)

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 10:22:51 PM »

Good info there guys.

I have been a bit of a silent observer over the last few weeks on FWR but having talked to a few of the accomplished salties out there, and being one myself---a professional guide turned professional manager in Vancouver..., I would agree with what allwaysfishin says...as I usually get out locally here anywhere from 25 to 60 times a year for personal fishing. I think one of the key things and pieces of advice that most local reports offer up for local hatchery Coho are lacking is the recommendation to move around for them.

A local charter operator I know limited his 3 guests in 3 hours within the last week, for you guys bad at math that was 6 Coho between 3 and 6 lbs ....and he admits to having numerous "dipstick" anglers on his boat who failed to hook up when they should have. Given, he stated that they obviously just arrived *(the fishi)*, and he managed to pick the right spot and move with the fish that particular day...but I have had a lot of success fishing where a lot of people wouldn't think as he did that day. Meaning, if you are fishing with 50 boats and 50 boats are not catching much of anything, try fishing areas those 50 boats aren't. Think like a fish too.. given XY and Z factors where would you be.?

I think this is one of the key pieces of advice that some local operators forget and local operators, and that lots of "sheep" type anglers...weekend warriors...forget.  Try fishing different areas---and I am not talking about pulling gear and running for miles either.

Not that I am a secretive or competitive fisher, but there are always ways to take a given fishing situation and make it better, and when I do guide, or fish personally, I apply the same type of principles--and if there is one thing, if I do keep fish or release them..., trip for trip, I usually end up showing up at the landing with more to report and produce than the next guy.

I think this post gives a bit more advice than a few of my friends on here and on the water would like to admit or share for a multitude of reasons, but for those so inclined, I think this is what you need to know.

Tight lines guys, and my private messaging is always open :) 

At this time, I would like to say that I believe there are more Coho locally than people believe at this point in time, it's just that people are sticking with tried and true, which isn't always best.

Thus far, we'll see if anyone heeds my advice, and I will be watching.... :) 

allwaysfishin

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 11:50:42 PM »

realizing that this is the internet, bear in mind that i will keep these reports fairly general and after this won't be responding to where should i go, what should i fish questions in exact details. there are a lot of charter folks who wouldn't appreciate me giving out ALL the info i'm sure.
that said i will attempt to be as up to date as possible and please , posts asking questions should be kept to a minimal.
thanx folks

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 01:09:43 AM »

Okay how about an advice on a good charter?

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 04:19:08 AM »

Good Charter ? He probably won't give you that info, but I can tell you that any person in the yellow pages is fine for Vancouver Saltwater.

But for you guys I think that is what you may want to know... :)

That's being fair I think....

allwaysfishin

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 08:19:08 AM »

i will say this, there a a few shops in town that have excellent saltwater oriented staff. those are the brains you want to pick for the "details" that you may not find here. There are many great local charter guys, naming one would probably not be fair to all the others.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 06:48:39 PM »

can you give me the tides for July 10 , please use horseshoe bay as your time table .

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 07:17:54 PM »

can you give me the tides for July 10 , please use horseshoe bay as your time table .
  ::) http://www.google.ca  ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2005, 08:02:39 PM »

http://www.lau.chs-shc.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/cgi-bin/tide-shc.cgi

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2005, 08:39:04 PM »

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2005, 08:46:23 PM »

i like the layout of this tide table
http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/van/2005-07-10