Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano 'Again'  (Read 1827 times)

sassygrams

Capilano 'Again'
« on: November 06, 2006, 07:33:48 PM »

Had to leave work early today to go back fishing - and I've taken Wed & Thurs off to spend the day down there - suppose to be nice.  Tonight though a really nice coho was caught and three springs, big ones to boot.  Lots of bites but it got dark so fast.  I had one on but lost it. 

I know I don't have a salmon rod, as of yet but the one I am using is good.  I am going to be a bit more agressive - or stand my spot more firm though as I find people very pushy.  I have noticed that people talk about etiquette...  I am very polite, apologize if I get in someones way, I'm not greedy with my space, and I wait my turn if it is very busy but.....  I think others need to be polite and give me some room now  :-\  I have met some very nice, helpful people fishing but I've also met some rude ones who I swear think I should be in a kichen making dinner.  Well, my husband and daughter have two arms and know how to operate a stove or microwave I go fishing :)

So....  flossing.....  I abide by the rules and I watch who I accept advice from as I have found out that people will give me the wrong advice - they are the not so nice fellows worried about a woman fishing :)  I have noticed people fishing without floats and really, really long leaders - like 6-7 of leaders ....  That is flossing right when they cast out and pull back, let it float then pull back ....

My co-worker went to the Vedder this weekend and didn't like it much at all. 

I'll let you all know when I am finished this week.  By the way...  If someone sees me from here, I'll be wearing a blue jacket, blue pants, big floppy boots and you can always come and say hi - I might learn something :)

Night
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Capilano 'Again'
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 08:24:52 PM »

Just read your bio, you dont happen to work for VanCity or did do you? Your name and age are just so familiar.

As far as the people on the river goes its like anything. Their are rude people everywhere no matter what you do. Just have to take the good with the bad. Some people will catch fish with any method since they just want the fish and dont care how they catch them as long as they get them.

Enjoy your time on the water

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 08:43:35 PM »

Just read your bio, you dont happen to work for VanCity or did do you?

STALKER !!!!!!! ::)

;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

sassygrams

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 08:53:23 PM »

Just read your bio, you dont happen to work for VanCity or did do you? Your name and age are just so familiar.

No, I work for a mining company and just moved here from Calgary a year ago Sept.... 

Cheers.
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 09:06:01 PM »

Gotcha. Dont worry I am no stalker. Very happy with my wife and 3 kids  ;D

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

adecadelost

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 11:38:49 PM »

So....  flossing.....  I abide by the rules and I watch who I accept advice from as I have found out that people will give me the wrong advice - they are the not so nice fellows worried about a woman fishing :)  I have noticed people fishing without floats and really, really long leaders - like 6-7 of leaders ....  That is flossing right when they cast out and pull back, let it float then pull back ....

Hard to say if they are flossing or not, they may be true bottom bouncers but likely they are flossing.  There are very few people who can truly bottom bounce without a float; just going by the feel of the river bottom.

Flossing is allowing your line to sweep across a fish.  It basicly gets caught in their mouth or around a fin.  Then when you pull back on the line it flosses through and catches them in the side.
There are also "jerkers" out there who simple yard back on their rod everytime they reach the end of the drift.  Or for some stupid reason jerk their rod back periodicly throughout the drift.  This ends in a lot of foul snaging as well.
Hope that helps a bit.  Sounds like you are learning things well though so just keep at it.

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 02:28:55 PM »

Interesting commentary and some good points as well. That's what I love about this forum, you almost always pick up a good piece of advice even when you're not looking for it :) I'm off to the Cap on Saturday.