Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing jigs for coho.  (Read 11199 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Fishing jigs for coho.
« on: October 24, 2011, 01:22:32 PM »

I have hearing a lot more lately about fishing jigs for coho.   I went to Freds over the weekend and the guy pulled out a pink and purple jig very much like the type I would use for chums so I am feeling a bit sceptical - I can't help thinking all I will get is chums if I use it.  My questions:

Are jigs an effective way to catch coho?
What colors work best ?  (I am a little sceptical about pink and purple)

mzmann

Re: Fishing jigs for coho.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 01:33:43 PM »

I have hearing a lot more lately about fishing jigs for coho.   I went to Freds over the weekend and the guy pulled out a pink and purple jig very much like the type I would use for chums so I am feeling a bit sceptical - I can't help thinking all I will get is chums if I use it.  My questions:

Are jigs an effective way to catch coho?
What colors work best ?  (I am a little sceptical about pink and purple)

Below are a couple good links to attest to the effectiveness of the jig with coho....as for personally, I did manage a couple wilds and a hatchery on them fishing the vedder last week.....one twitching in frog water and 2 short floating one......was using the pink/purple most of the time but I believe one of the fish was on a chartreuse/reddish combo.....yes I did get a chum as well and I probably would have got more chum on but there was low numbers when I was there so it worked good for the coho fishing.

http://www.anglingbc.com/index.cfm/page/62/Coho.html
http://bentrods.xplorex.com/jig-fishing.htm
http://bentrods.ca/steelhead-jigs-salmon-jigs/coho-salmon-jigs

Wishin I was fishin!! :)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 06:55:53 PM »

YES!!! pink and purple produce trust me, I caught 4 today using a pink and purple jig I made!

bcguy

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 07:16:43 PM »

I have caught so many fish short floating jigs, they are a real go to in my arsenal.
Coho, springs, chum, and steelhead, all will take them consistently.
The last Coho was on a Bendrods jig called Deceiver, love it, takes Steelhead very well too.
Best part about a jig, if there is an aggressive fish around, it will take it.
Coho seem to enjoy Chartreuse from my experience, but have had luck with Bentrods #2 Coho Jig
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 06:28:28 AM »

Thanks much all of you :)

I have only ever caught chums on pink and purple but I have been specifically targeting them when using those jigs.   Sounds like its really worth trying that combo when I know chums are not about.  Definitely going to give this a try and thanks for all the links mzmann.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 07:55:52 AM »

twitching jigs with no float will work much better than drifting it under a float, find the right water that coho stack in that doesnt have too fast of current and your in business...otherwise fishing roe and blades will work much better
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

dmoney

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:23:38 AM »

I've caught more jacks than adult coho on jigs, but i always carry them when float fishing and often use them when I run out of roe.

D$

Fishinglover

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 09:05:54 PM »

hi , what does "short floating jig" means?  means float to jig length is short? how short is it? are you using braided line or mono line?  As jigs are used, so no sinkers needed, right?   just wondering how to set up the jigs in vedder as there are so many snags?  thanks

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 09:11:50 PM »

Mono mainline, float, split shot, swivel, short leader connecting jig.

Set depth to be about 6"~12" off river bed.

Fishinglover

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 09:15:32 PM »

Great, thanks!  Normally how many test pounds for the mono main line? 12 lb test or 15? 

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 09:31:16 PM »

15lb for baitcaster
12lb for low profile and CP

Fishinglover

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 09:40:19 PM »

Thank you Bwibwi!  will definitely try this setup during the next trip...