Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thompson River  (Read 2422 times)

Ed

• I'm a llama!
Thompson River
« on: September 11, 2007, 04:48:33 PM »

A buddy of mine from Chile wanted to go to the Thompson River so i was planning on going the weekend of september 22nd. I was just wondering if anybody has been up there lately or know of the fishing in september. Thanks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Thompson River
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 07:07:34 PM »

The rainbow trout fishing should be good. Stop by Reaction Fly and Tackle on the way there and talk to Daryl (he works there on weekends). He will have a more updated report and can tell you which flies you should purchase for that river. If not flyfishing, light spincasting with small spoons and spinners should work well too. There are also mountain whitefish, northern pikeminnow mixed among rainbow trout.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 08:29:52 PM »

Are the Salmon through yet?

Pat AV

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 08:43:41 AM »

There are lots of salmon up there. I was there last on the Labour Day long weekend and there were already pinks, socks and springs kicking around.

By the 22nd the river will be packed with pinks, when the T is full of salmon the trout fishing becomes more difficult because the salmon push the bows out of their preffered lies.

That siad I have had OK days on the T when the salmon are in thick so it is worth a try, just lower your expectations and enjoy seeing a river brought to life by the returning riches of the ocean.

Good luck
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 09:24:27 AM »

hey pat im in the kamloops area not far from cache creek, just wondering where the pink opportunities are on the T?
always a student

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 10:17:07 AM »

Hey Rodney did you mean stop by the Reaction in chilliwack or kamloops?

With regards to the salmon being plenitful now making the fishing slow. Do you mean that all fishing is slow or just trout fishing? I dont mind catching couple Salmon.

Pat AV

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 08:16:28 AM »

Reaction is in Abby by whatcom rd exit.

I speak of trout fishing in the T, as for salmon fishing there I have never tried check DFO website to see if you can give it a try.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 04:10:53 PM »

Yeah i know the Reaction near whatcom but I was wondering which store Daryl was at since he had the knowledge on the Thompson

fishinmansam

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 08:39:26 PM »

Does anyone know the time when the pinks and sockeye start coming in, in big schools. I was also wondering if anyone had any techniqes on catching the springs??? There in there thick right know and i cant get many to take my spoon..... Also whhat would youuse when the sockeyes and pinks come in???

Tight Lines

Pat AV

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 09:14:24 PM »

Ed,

Let me spell it out for you very clearly, Daryl is at the RFT in Whatcom Plaza that is why I mentioned it. The store is located beside Tim Hortons (south east of it I believe), he is short with light colored hair. he is a very nice guy and super knowledgable but sadly seems to be losing his hair. He will steer you in the right direction. If he is not there talk to Ferdi he is a little bit taller with brown hair and also is a solid rod and should be able to tell you the inside scoop.

The only other RFT that I know of is in Logan Lake if Daryl cannot be found in abby go check there.

Good luck and I hope you find your info.

Pat
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:29:01 AM by Pat AV »