Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Stave River salmon fishery  (Read 63887 times)

mvelasco

Re: 2009 Stave River salmon fishery
« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2009, 03:05:51 PM »

I was out there yesterday with friends fishing jigs well above the bottom - no more than three feet down and noticed a significant slowdown in the number of bites I was getting compared to last week.   Tried everything from spoons to different color wools and find I could still get the odd bite on the usual purple jig - in the end I managed to hook up and land 1 male chum.   I was teaching my friend the short floating techniques I learnt on this site explaining why it is important to keep the jig off the bottom.

In the end I had to explain why the people around us were getting so many "bites" while we were not - its frustrating because I can't pretend to be a very experienced fisherman.   I can only hope my friend got the picture when she saw how many were being hauled in side on or tail first.  Unfortunately new fishermen heading down to the Stave are very likely to think this is the way to catch them - can't blame them entirely.

Anyway, this debate about the Stave is likely to go on and on until there is proper enforcement  :(

yep....very true...the Stave sports some un-classy "fisherman"
I hope to get out there this weekend if the weather allows me too.

reeler

« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2009, 04:56:01 PM »

Checked it out last Saturday. It's worth visiting once a year to watch the show. Some, not really dressed for fishing, killing huge Chum for what? Must be fertilizer.
Nobody in their right mind would eat fish in that condition. Some looking miserable with broken baby spinning rods. A few trying to fish properly away from the crowd. Quite a few skeletons with head and tail on laying around. Someone does a nice fillet job. On the way out 3 guys with all the best equipment, carrying bags of roe,but no fish. Someone should have a hot dog/tackle stand in the parking lot.

mattyo

« Reply #182 on: November 02, 2009, 05:47:37 PM »

Checked it out last Saturday. It's worth visiting once a year to watch the show. Some, not really dressed for fishing, killing huge Chum for what? Must be fertilizer.
Nobody in their right mind would eat fish in that condition. Some looking miserable with broken baby spinning rods. A few trying to fish properly away from the crowd. Quite a few skeletons with head and tail on laying around. Someone does a nice fillet job. On the way out 3 guys with all the best equipment, carrying bags of roe,but no fish. Someone should have a hot dog/tackle stand in the parking lot.
Those guys were probably fishing and not snagging. Lol.
I too wondered about a guy there with a bag of skeins. I automatically thought he was ripping roe out of the fish >:( I then saw some guy chuck freshly gutted roe in the water(long leader and wool "fishermen" ). So I picked it up, put it in a bag and off I went :).What I'm getting at is that guys with the roe might have done the same thing I did. I think you're allowed 1 kg of roe in your possession, correct me if I'm wrong?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #183 on: November 02, 2009, 06:20:46 PM »

i know lots of guys just go there to ask guys for their roe. and get tons of it.

and yes your correct that your only "supposed" tp have 1kg of roe on your person at a time. I have gotten more roe then that from one fish though so i dont really see how they can enforce that and not sure if they even bother.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #184 on: November 02, 2009, 06:25:43 PM »

Read the regulations properly.

you must not have more than 1 kg of roe (fish eggs) in your possession for use as bait unless the roe was obtained from a commercial source that lawfully obtained that roe, or you have in your possession the freshly dressed fish from which the roe in excess of 1 kg was taken.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #185 on: November 03, 2009, 07:10:51 AM »

Went up to the dam for a couple hours yesterday with a friend - sent him home witn a pretty silver doe and a so-so male for his smoker.  Released 6 or 7, including one that didn't know he was already dead for a week!  The usual dark jig and one that was light purple over pink - both did well (short float - 12" leader and max 18" to the float from the swivel - lead to NO snagged fish)  :) .  Hit one that was either a coho or very fresh chum but didn't get it quite close enough to tell for sure....

It got pretty crowded around 10ish for a while - the nasty weather that rolled in did a good job of clearing out some of that!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 07:12:25 AM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2009, 01:44:05 PM »

Interesting.  Does anybody know if the Stave is affected by tides?

I have been going up there quite a lot and noticed a definite slowdown last weekend.  It seems from the fish being "caught" that there were many fish in good enough condition to be active but very few biting .  I must have been at it for about four hours and only got about four dips of the float compared to about 10 times that activity the week before.

One thing I noticed that day is the tide was going out quite fast and I know that can be detrimental to fishing on the Fraser, is this also true on the Stave? [Unfortunately I have little choice over timing - always get their very early to get some uncrowded fishing in for the first hour or so].
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 01:46:07 PM by fishseeker »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #187 on: November 03, 2009, 01:46:34 PM »

Based on average CPUE of Albion test fishery, the Lower Fraser chum salmon run typically peaks between October 20th and 25th, so yes the Stave River chum salmon fishery is tapering off.

The tide indeed has a huge influence on the Stave River system.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #188 on: November 03, 2009, 02:16:35 PM »

Does anybody know if the Stave is affected by tides?

It is very much affected by the tide. There is a several hour offset from that at New West.  And it too has better fishing a couple of hours into the incoming tide.
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #189 on: November 03, 2009, 06:08:55 PM »

Just a thought for next year, and not just on the Stave...

Travel Mug.

The beer cans get collected more often than not but the amount of disposable coffee cups I saw on Monday when i walked the west side up and down was staggering and so avoidable.  Thanks.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #190 on: November 03, 2009, 08:20:55 PM »

Just a thought for next year, and not just on the Stave...

Travel Mug.

The beer cans get collected more often than not but the amount of disposable coffee cups I saw on Monday when i walked the west side up and down was staggering and so avoidable.  Thanks.

I concur - I brought back 12 or 15 tims cups yesterday from just the area I was fishing, didn't have to look far!!

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #191 on: November 03, 2009, 09:15:13 PM »

Caught about 10 chummies today on my new baitcaster to break it in 1 was probably 25 pounds and fought like @#$%^&&* LOL ended up keeping the cleanest one ive seen there yet its currently in brine to be made into candy ;D i also checked out nicomen  but wasnt lucky.There was a chopper buzzing around the stave today for some reason...
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #192 on: November 04, 2009, 07:54:33 AM »

that chopper has been there every one of my 4 trips this year - and buzz you they do!  I assume some kind of authority?? Spends a lot of time over the spawning channel.... Makes you feel like you're on the set of M*A*S*H*

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #193 on: November 04, 2009, 08:43:57 AM »

I would think it is some kind of govt authority being that they fly so low.
I think they are filming also as it looks like some kind of camera setup on one side of the chopper.

I was fishing there on Saturday and some guy on a jet boat made a run along the shore with a video camera in his hand.
Probably wanted to have his customers take home a video of the 'suckers' fishing from shore.

I think the suckers are the guys paying hundreds of dollars for something you can do from shore for free.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #194 on: November 04, 2009, 01:39:31 PM »

I would think it is some kind of govt authority being that they fly so low.
I think they are filming also as it looks like some kind of camera setup on one side of the chopper.

I was fishing there on Saturday and some guy on a jet boat made a run along the shore with a video camera in his hand.
Probably wanted to have his customers take home a video of the 'suckers' fishing from shore.

I think the suckers are the guys paying hundreds of dollars for something you can do from shore for free.

So true but there is something to be said for uncrowded fishing :)