Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Casting lessons for kids  (Read 5963 times)

Craig

Casting lessons for kids
« on: December 07, 2013, 12:26:47 PM »

My 11 year old daughter is wanting to try her hand at fly fishing. Anyone know of a good place in the lower mainland for her and I to get some lessons?  I would like someone with experience teaching kids if possible.

Also, what should we consider for gear for a smaller person like herself? I don't really want to buy her junk as an entry level setup then just buy her something better next year. She does have a little brother and sister that would probably use the gear when they get older as well.

Also, early spring is the best time for us to start correct?

Thanks in advance
Craig

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Casting lessons for kids
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 12:38:47 PM »

Most tackle shops offer flycasting classes in the spring.

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 02:06:22 PM »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 02:49:37 PM »

My 11 year old daughter is wanting to try her hand at fly fishing. Anyone know of a good place in the lower mainland for her and I to get some lessons?  I would like someone with experience teaching kids if possible.

April Vokey's workshop is a good option for parent and kid, she has some scheduled group classes in Chilliwack coming up in late April.

http://flygal.ca/workshops

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 07:25:07 PM »

Is there not any casting instructors that are experienced in teaching kids. even younger kids down to the age of 5 ?

Im thinking of getting my 5yr old a couple lessons next year.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 07:56:58 AM »

Is there not any casting instructors that are experienced in teaching kids. even younger kids down to the age of 5 ?

Im thinking of getting my 5yr old a couple lessons next year.

The casting mechanics for a child are exactly the same as they would be for a female or male adult .....the same as they would be for teaching a golf swing or throwing a ball.  It's just a matter of matching up the equipment being used for the size and strength of the body that's being taught.  If you've ever seen a young person casting well it shouldn't look any different than wheen an adult is doing it.  You may not get into advance casts like double hauling, etc. until they've mastered a simple overhead cast.

When teaching someone a skill like that the instructor will show them how to do it in phases as opposed to one continuous movement.  As long as they know how to talk to and explain things to a kid it should not be a problem.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 11:06:29 AM »

As long as they know how to talk to and explain things to a kid it should not be a problem.

This here lies the problem. If someone has never taught a kid or many kids they may not have the skill to successfully keep a kids attention or be able to have them understand what they are explaining. I would be choked if I wasted my money on an instructor and my kid(s) learned nothing.

I could teach him myself but I rather him learn things from someone certified so he doesn't pick up any bad habits I might have. Also your own kids/wife/sibling will never fully listen as well as they would to someone else.

case in point me trying to teach my wife years ago. she is horrible at "breaking the wrist" in the back cast and went crazy after my constant reminders  :-X She will fly fish now but only if its close quarters where its just flipping out a nymph rig or dry or make me toss it out for her when we are on the lake

I am thinking about teaching my oldest to cast two handed. I feel he would benefit from using both hands over single handing. He could always use a switch rod and roll cast out a bobber setup on the lake  ;)
Check out our new blog

Craig

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 02:15:57 PM »

Definitely teaching a child takes different communication skills and patience.

I kind of like the switch rod idea, Hook. It makes sense to me.

I called flygal and left a message. On April's website she has pictures teaching kids younger than mine.

Craig

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 03:11:02 PM »

I wonder if she would work for my son. He is quite the flirt with the older ladies though and may just never shut up LoL  :o
Check out our new blog

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 08:22:38 PM »

- I reccomend a 8 ft 3 or 4 wt... that way if they don't take to it you have a good creek outfit for yourself.
- Don't cheap out on the line as it can be frustrating.
- I also used a flyflo from Joan Wolfe or similar device for demo it is a short rod with  tapered line or yarn  that can be used in doors. As the line moves slow in the air due to weight it is easy to see the casting stroke. 
- Use of vid also good tool so they can instantly see what they are doing in comparison with what they think they are doing... slow mo is a blast and they can critique your cast as well.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 08:38:54 PM »

Try an Echo gecko its great for kids.

noxcape

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 10:04:41 PM »

I have a budd who has taught kids to fly fish and has taught some high school kids in the coquitlam area if you want his name and number let me know

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 10:52:14 PM »

I was thinking of buying the Echo practice rod. I remember playing with one at M&Y when it was first produced. This could work good for kids being that its short, teaches them how to "feel" the load of a rod.......etc. before taking them out to use a full on setup. This would also be ideal because it could be used by his younger brother once he doesn't need it for learning anymore.

I was already looking at an Echo Gecko setup for my son(s) but for right now he can learn on my 4 or 5wt Sage rods. I will for sure be showing/teaching him spey casting with my switch rod. He has been shown how to execute a double spey already and amazingly remembers the motions  :o (he was taught with rod in hand)

Check out our new blog

Craig

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 09:38:56 AM »

Great advice thanks all. I decided to go with April Volkey's class in April. Those kids rods look great too. Like HOOK, I have two other younger kids that might find interest in fishing soon too (they are getting spinning rods for Christmas thanks to Rod clearing out some space  ;) ) so it would get more use.

While talking to them it was suggested to just stick with a one hander as single hand casting a switch rod would be harder on the kids and we won't be learning spey casting for a while at least.

Merry Christmas
Craig

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 12:46:59 PM »

I was thinking of buying the Echo practice rod. I remember playing with one at M&Y when it was first produced. This could work good for kids being that its short, teaches them how to "feel" the load of a rod.......etc. before taking them out to use a full on setup. This would also be ideal because it could be used by his younger brother once he doesn't need it for learning anymore.

I was already looking at an Echo Gecko setup for my son(s) but for right now he can learn on my 4 or 5wt Sage rods. I will for sure be showing/teaching him spey casting with my switch rod. He has been shown how to execute a double spey already and amazingly remembers the motions  :o (he was taught with rod in hand)

I've seen those little goomers in action….LOL  Ten bucks says it won't last long enough for both of them to get a crack at using it.   ;)