Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: West Vancouver, September 11th 2010: First time  (Read 1442 times)

sassygrams

West Vancouver, September 11th 2010: First time
« on: September 14, 2010, 11:15:37 AM »

My best friend for the first time laughed at my fishing attempts - she says I am 'hopelessly persistant' - I drove down to Van this weekend to do some fishing.  I must say thank goodness it's not called catching because that would not describe my efforts this past year.

I went out first light, low tide (wasn't that low by the time I arrived).  I tried my fly rod which wasn't doing very well at all, as I used an old rod instead of my good one - I then brought out my level wind - had a series of rat nests, then a kind sole helped me take the spool out, which I didn't know how to do or haven't done before.  I think when it was put back together it wasn't done properly though because it wouldn't let me 'click' that piece down again so no more fishing for the weekend :( 

The fish were jumping though and some actually quite close to the shore line, which was really nice to watch.  There were 2 others fellows out, and neither had anything either, or not that I saw. 

There were little brown creatures as I was walking back to the car having a look around the shore line.  They weren't seals, and I don't think they were otters as the tails were skinny but really cute faces, very curious - wonder what they were?

Well, so that's my post :)  I hope everyone else has better luck - I know the conditions weren't ideal and I will have so much better luck next time.  Maybe one day I'll post a picture of my efforts being rewarded.
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

sassygrams

Re: West Vancouver, September 11th 2010: First time
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 11:28:08 AM »

i'll have to find a picture of river otters - they were very cute.  don't like mention of huge rats though - are you serious?  in the rocks, like the ones you climb down to get into the water?  reallY!  oh my!  see, this is the invaluable information given to be better prepared for next time :)
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 05:35:01 PM »

Probably sea otters. Last year we came across a half eaten flounder and was later told that sea otters like to only finish half of it and discard the rest.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=136

Two years ago, not knowing the coho season was really poor, I decided to head over to where you were for a morning. I arrived just before dawn and couldn't see anyone around, which was pretty unusual because the regulars are always there at first light. I walked up to the bike path to see the ocean, only to see a skunk walking past me. Needless to say I didn't catch any fish.

metalfisherman

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »

I vote for otters .
I saw few times this summer.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:56:37 PM by metalfisherman »

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 04:55:43 PM »

Probably sea otters. Last year we came across a half eaten flounder and was later told that sea otters like to only finish half of it and discard the rest.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=136

Two years ago, not knowing the coho season was really poor, I decided to head over to where you were for a morning. I arrived just before dawn and couldn't see anyone around, which was pretty unusual because the regulars are always there at first light. I walked up to the bike path to see the ocean, only to see a skunk walking past me. Needless to say I didn't catch any fish.

Don't believe there are any sea otters in Vancouver Harbour, though river otters do venture into the salt.  The Cap estuary looks like the kind of place you'd find them too.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 05:22:18 PM »

All the ones I've seen down here are river otters.