Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Chinook, Fraser River  (Read 17924 times)

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
Re: No Chinook, Fraser River
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 08:35:57 PM »

Maybe said a littl too much,but at least and any other race gets caught doing something illegal as far as fishing goes there are consequences.  And I never meant to imply that others don't harvest illegally.

Yeah the reply was a bit snappy  :-\  Trying to quit the darts  ;D

Sometimes FN get blamed too often and people assume stuff and you know what assuming does..... ;)

Cheers
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2008, 09:50:09 PM »

Further to FN 131 effective 00:01 hours Tuesday, April 1 until 23:59 hours
Friday, May 30 in Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9, 29-10 and in Region 2 the non-
tidal waters of the Fraser River the daily limit is zero (0) chinook salmon.

If trying to protect early stocks maybe a change in the wording may be in order, something like no angling for salmon during certain periods. The way it is written can be taken as a catch and release situation. :-\

This was clarified in an email to me today:

"The regulation, effective May 1, is Chinook (0) daily limit - this does allow for fishing but non-retention or in other words a catch and release fishery. One of the comments is to ask DFO to clarify the regulations as it seems to allows for catch & release - that is the intention."

Teal

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2008, 07:37:45 AM »

On a side note those of you who may want to understand how a fisheries resource can be saved I reccommend Striper Wars By Dick Russell.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2008, 05:25:59 PM »

Salmon forecast dismal
April 17, 2008   

Sockeye salmon on their way back to the Fraser River are expected to arrive in very low numbers this summer.

The current estimate is for 2.9 million Fraser sockeye to return, according to Pacific Salmon Commission chief biologist Mike Lapointe.

That’s a far cry from the good years when 10 to 20 million sockeye came back and it may lead managers to ban all commercial and recreational sockeye fishing this season.

“It’s going to be pretty slim pickings,” Lapointe said, adding a single very limited opening is likely the best the commercial fleet can expect – if anything at all.

A bad fishery this year is no surprise.

Sockeye run on a four-year cycle and this is the low year of the cycle. In the past that would have meant a lower return on the order of four to five million fish.

But in addition, the salmon now returning are the product of the disastrous 2004 season when the disappearance of 1.3 million sockeye sparked a firestorm of controversy and finger-pointing.

Barely 500,000 fish made it back to their birth streams that year, a dangerously low level to spawn and maintain stocks.

“We’re not expecting much,” Lapointe said.

If enough salmon do come back now to help rebuild the run, he said, it will demonstrate their resiliency.

Last year 6.4 million Fraser sockeye were expected but barely a third that number showed up.

Sockeye runs over the past two years are thought to have been hammered by hot ocean temperatures that left them underfed and vulnerable to predators.

So far biologists say this year’s sockeye run likely faced more moderate ocean temperatures.

High river temperatures are also deadly to salmon and are thought to be a major cause of 2004’s missing salmon, along with overfishing, poaching and poor estimates.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2008, 07:17:41 PM »

Do not assume that there will NOT be a Chinook opening on June 15th.

In fact there is no reason to not have an opening.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2008, 07:25:40 PM »

Do not assume that there will NOT be a Chinook opening on June 15th.

In fact there is no reason to not have an opening.
I hope you are right, I remember catching them in the Fraser in April. Actually it was in 1979, on April 30.

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2008, 09:01:35 PM »

Just to clarify a bit further, the Fraser opens for salmon fishing May 1, no retention of Chinook until June 16 unless otherwise posted. At the SFAC UFV sub committee meeting last week DFO implied that the river will open for retention on June 16.
The committee which is dealing with issues such as angling ethics has also recommended the following amendment for the upcoming salmon season on the Fraser. -

This sub-committee recommends that the SFAC-UFV endorse the following recommendation:

That DFO, in line with A Policy for Selective Fishing in Canada's Pacific Fisheries (Fisheries and Oceans Canada, January 2001) develop a regulation limiting leader length to 1 metre from the weight; that would be put in force when there are sockeye stocks of concern present in the Fraser River non-tidal areas between the upstream side of the CPR bridge at Mission to Sawmill Creek in order to allow anglers to continue to fish for other species while minimizing impacts on sockeye.

The past week we have seen several FN openings on the Fraser which have been farily successful. Hopefully predicted numbers are off, which would surprise nobody. Good news is that the river is usually not fishable before mid June anyways and some of the best Chinook fishing on the Fraser is Between June 15 to Aug. So in reality this non-retention between May 1  - June 15 doesn't really effect sportfishing on the Fraser. I sometimes wonder what the motive is for posts such as this.

Chris, ever considered posting some positive news about the Fraser?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2008, 09:17:46 PM »

That DFO, in line with A Policy for Selective Fishing in Canada's Pacific Fisheries (Fisheries and Oceans Canada, January 2001) develop a regulation limiting leader length to 1 metre from the weight; that would be put in force when there are sockeye stocks of concern present in the Fraser River non-tidal areas between the upstream side of the CPR bridge at Mission to Sawmill Creek in order to allow anglers to continue to fish for other species while minimizing impacts on sockeye.

The past week we have seen several FN openings on the Fraser which have been farily successful. Hopefully predicted numbers are off, which would surprise nobody. Good news is that the river is usually not fishable before mid June anyways and some of the best Chinook fishing on the Fraser is Between June 15 to Aug. So in reality this non-retention between May 1  - June 15 doesn't really effect sportfishing on the Fraser. I sometimes wonder what the motive is for posts such as this.

You guys probable should have made the suggestion using the words from a fixed weight instead of just saying from the weight. This way there is no way they can use a sliding weight system that when reeled in is 1m but when out in the water can be double or triple that.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2008, 09:22:24 PM »

I will have to think a bit how to answer your last observation Vic. However I know I have worked since 1984 when several of us through the FVSS got the Fraser River open for recreational angling for adult chinooks once again with other openings for other salmon species after that.

I thought that was pretty positive and I believe action is stronger than words anyway so I will leave it at that.

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2008, 12:13:40 PM »

Chris, don't bother, I know how much you have contributed to sportfishing and all the positive things you have done, just sometimes wonder about the constant doom and gloom posts.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2008, 08:28:27 PM »

You guys probable should have made the suggestion using the words from a fixed weight instead of just saying from the weight. This way there is no way they can use a sliding weight system that when reeled in is 1m but when out in the water can be double or triple that.

They should also add "main weight" as well.  Nothing to prevent someone from sticking a tiny splitshot 1 M above the hook and call that the "leader" and then add the 3 ounce betty 10 feet later.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2008, 04:10:11 PM »

I'm still having troubles getting my mind around the fact of "No Chinook" this year. :(

I thought the brothers and sisters of all those Jacks we caught last year,
 would make for great fishing the next couple of years. :-\

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2008, 04:18:42 PM »

I'm still having troubles getting my mind around the fact of "No Chinook" this year. :(

Donot give up as we may get a retention in the middle of June.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2008, 11:45:17 AM »

Donot give up as we may get a retention in the middle of June.

There is NO scientific reason to not have an opening.