Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: R&B spoons and spinners demand  (Read 3097 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
R&B spoons and spinners demand
« on: April 08, 2021, 09:56:13 PM »

Hey guys.

I'm considering starting to run a small operation for retailing R&B spoons and spinners in B.C. I'm waiting to hear on shops, but if none get back to me, I'll likely do the first run this fall privately. This would likely be done through my blog page website, and would rely on payments through PayPal or cash. Being that it would be only me carrying them, I can set the prices (which would make them significantly cheaper than most store bought lures).

Prices would be:

~5.50 for spinners (pre made, fully rigged with good hooks)
~6 a piece for metal/paint finish spoons
~5.50 a piece for straight metal or metal 50/50s spoons

For the spoons, I would allow people to choose between a standard rigging or pre-tied dacron setups (I'd add a half dozen extra dacron loops to the package for change out as they do wear down over time).

Curious to hear people's thoughts about whether or not this is a path I should take (it'll be a considerable amount of work/ up front cost for me).

Cheers all!

Dan

sugartooth

Re: R&B spoons and spinners demand
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 12:34:46 PM »

Well I was hoping someone would step up and sell these spoons locally again. Best spoons on the market in my opinion.
I tend to buy a large quantity at a time. So would you be selling in bulk? Would you sell just blanks?

I would suggest that you have these on the market either in stores or sold privately before fall as this is when your biggest sales will be.
Please keep us informed on here if you do decide to go ahead with this.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 05:30:55 PM »

Well I was hoping someone would step up and sell these spoons locally again. Best spoons on the market in my opinion.
I tend to buy a large quantity at a time. So would you be selling in bulk? Would you sell just blanks?

I would suggest that you have these on the market either in stores or sold privately before fall as this is when your biggest sales will be.
Please keep us informed on here if you do decide to go ahead with this.

If you private message me, or email me (steelheadfishing at hotmail dot com), I could get you the quantity and types you want. I'm looking to place the order by May 1,  which should get them here sometime in summer. I likely will only be doing online sales for this year at least. 

I have been throwing around the idea of selling blanks in bulk as well, something like packs of 5 (like what Trophy used to do), and knock a dollar off the pre rigged prices.

Cheers,
Dan

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 07:37:43 AM »

May I ask what the difference between Gibbs spoon and the R&B spoon. I am curious of the details in spoon design

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 09:05:45 AM »

So are you looking at selling these on line, tackle shops or both? I might buy a modest quantity of spinner and spoons a year though it may not be worth my while to pay shipping given what my needs are in any given year. I know nothing about this product though most spinners have a retail price that gives me sticker shock and I'd be willing to try  them.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 11:26:12 AM »

I would likely buy them online, Dan, but not this year.

I bought a shwack last year from Trophy and First Strike and my supply is still good.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 08:39:11 AM »

You should include some photos of said product.
Have never heard of R&B myself.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 09:04:03 AM »

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 09:18:27 AM »

Some nice looking products there but many are sold out?

Thanks for posting the pics Ralph.

stsfisher

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 11:18:25 AM »

Does R&B hammer there own spoon blanks or do they buy them over seas?

I think your idea of selling these directly North of the border is good, and I am sure the product that you bring over will sell but if you can not get new stock when customers want it they will find a new product to use. And just maybe when the border opens up the $30.00 US to ship will no longer be that high and a guy like me would just order online himself again and spare the middle man ordering for him or her.

No risk, no reward as they say. Let us know when you have stock and I am sure I will buy a few.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 08:09:01 PM »

Hey all, sorry for the lack of replies, it's been a busy weekend.

First off - difference between Gibbs and R&B. For me, personally, it comes down to 3 main things. Sizing, durability and price. I personally find the Gibbs sizing a little odd on the koho spoon. The ironheads sizing is what you're after, but at over 8 bucks per spoon, they hurt to lose. Probably my biggest two issues with Gibbs are their absolutely terrible hooks they put on, and the fact that their plating and color flakes off after short usage. Maybe they've since corrected the flaking issues, it's been a  number of years since I've used them. For the most part, R&B paints will last until you lose the spoon. I'm simply a huge fan of R&B for the fact you can get a genuine silver (or copper, or brass) plated spoon, with good components, for a pretty reasonable price comparable with what you'd pay for a lesser quality spoon at shops.

Ralph, I'm thinking for this year at least, it will only be online. I could likely give an option to meet in person as I live in chilliwack, and it's very easy for me to meet on the Vedder, etc. I also travel to the island often. If I were to put them in shops, we'd be looking at 7-8 bucks a spoon, and they'd want me to match that. I feel better about charging less personally. Shipping would only be around 5 bucks from personal past experiences, unless it's a large order that weighs a lot.

sts - as far as I know, all of the blanks are stamped in the US. The blanks are then sent to Rob who does all of the plating and finishes. As for stock, this year I will most certainly run out based on the interest I've gotten on Instagram, etc vs what I currently can afford to invest. It will take me a while to build inventory, so you're absolutely correct that people will need to buy elsewhere when I run out. My goal eventually would be to have good stock of each finish I want to carry that I'd top up each year to never run out.

If anyone else has any other questions just ask!

Cheers,
Dan

joan

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 05:24:47 AM »

please let me know when online, i  live local can pick up thanks rich

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 05:37:16 AM by joan »

joan

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 05:29:56 AM »

all ready posted
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 05:41:42 AM by joan »

obie1fish

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 04:22:59 PM »

Hi
I've been wanting to purchase some size 3 and 4 spinner blanks in the lacquered candy pink from R&B, but it seems like the mailing costs etc. are pretty high. Any thoughts?