Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing on Fraser at Cheam  (Read 1833 times)

obie1fish

Fishing on Fraser at Cheam
« on: April 20, 2022, 05:31:56 PM »

I could use some advice: does anyone have suggestions regarding fishing at the Cheam campground in Agassiz? Would there be cutties, pike minnows, or sturgeon from shore? I've never fished the area except for sockeye a bunch of years ago.
Or should I just enjoy the view?

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing on Fraser at Cheam
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 06:38:08 PM »

I could use some advice: does anyone have suggestions regarding fishing at the Cheam campground in Agassiz? Would there be cutties, pike minnows, or sturgeon from shore? I've never fished the area except for sockeye a bunch of years ago.
Or should I just enjoy the view?

I don't see why there wouldn't be coarse fish at any shallow/slow part of the river. Pikeminnows, chubs, sculpin ect
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 07:27:36 PM »

I don't see why there wouldn't be coarse fish at any shallow/slow part of the river. Pikeminnows, chubs, sculpin ect

I also know sturgeon fishing is quite popular near the Chilliwack area of the fraser so I assume that would also be productive. Best timing is from spring to fall so right about time.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 10:01:39 PM »

They do fish for sturgeon in that area. I used to fish for trout plus the odd bull trout and steelhead from mid- Jan into March around there. Not so much now.  The backwater  below the bridge was once a good trout spot. I have also seen large sturgeon jump a mile or so below the bridge. The river has risen and is brown. That will put a damper on some of the fishing or at least what's left.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 10:15:02 PM »

By all means, enjoy the view...but with fishing rod in your hand too!

The spring freshet is just around the corner. When are you staying at the campground? Fishing opportunities in the big river will be limited when the the water starts to rise.

If you are there during the freshet, I would suggest concentrating your angling on any of the sloughs in the area. They will back up with clean water and provide refuge for fish from the big river. Cutthroat and pikeminnows will/should be around. I would suggest poking around the lower reaches of Maria Slough which is just east of the campground.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 07:43:01 AM »

access to Maria is pretty iffy these days.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

obie1fish

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 07:51:51 PM »

Thanks, everyone! I'm going this weekend, and I hope the water is fishable, even for the pike minnows- I'll be teaching a newbie some of the basics, so it's pretty low-key.
Again, thanks for the help and suggestions.