Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The most interesting & educated take up the fishing sport.  (Read 2029 times)

arimaBOATER

The most interesting & educated take up the fishing sport.
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:43:16 AM »

There is a stereotype that people who take up sport fishing are boring brain dead clueless labour employed humans in general.
Heard comments from people in regards to the sport like " You enjoy fishing?"
Like I'm from leper colony or something.
Yous & I know that this stereotype is so false.

In reality there is a mixture of very educated to less,to very rich to less, & any age.

Recently was watching a tv program on Vision ch titled "The Church of Elvis"
Being an Elvis fan I watched it & it basically told of the fact that even after 30yrs after his death there are still millions of active fans.
During the tv show a lady preacher had a few seconds or clips & her name was Susan Sparks.
Some pastor at a Baptist Church in New York.
Honestly have no idea on her belief system but what interested me was the fact she is a lawyer,comedian & a pastor. Her husband is a retired trial lawyer & they ride Harley bikes & tour the USA.
Reading about her interests & one major one is FLY FISHING !

Here's a lawyer,active pastor,& comedian who does acts in clubs,guested on tv shows on & on & she loves fishing!

So that should put an end to the idea the sport of fishing is done by boring folks.
Pride yourself.

Mind you there are the APE fishing types that break every rule in the book but thankfully they are hopefully less than 5%.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:44:58 AM by A-BOATER »

RRV

Re: The most interesting & educated take up the fishing sport.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 03:23:37 PM »

I'm not sure what the general public perception of fishing is, but sometimes it seems to me that fishing is a sport of the elite. A basic fly setup costs several hundred by the time you factor rod, reel, lines, flies and waders, and going ocean fishing costs tens of thousands when you consider the boat and the truck to tow it. 

This said, I agree that the most interesting and educated take up the sport.  I mean, look at the participants in this forum  ;)

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 03:30:48 PM »

Fly fishing is way cheaper then hockey.

All you need is rod, reel, line, leader, and flies.

Orvis has a outfit for $159.  Say $50 for base flies, $30 for a box, 30 for leader and tippet and your fly fishing for less then $300.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 11:48:58 AM »

I'm not sure what the general public perception of fishing is, but sometimes it seems to me that fishing is a sport of the elite. A basic fly setup costs several hundred by the time you factor rod, reel, lines, flies and waders, and going ocean fishing costs tens of thousands when you consider the boat and the truck to tow it. 

This said, I agree that the most interesting and educated take up the sport.  I mean, look at the participants in this forum  ;)

Depends on who you know and where you look. There is a market in development for tackle finders. These guys know their products, take orders, and search the world via the net. I made my contact through Andy "the fish finder." If you know your stuff you can make use of this service. Example; my finder gets me quality fly line for $10 each.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"