Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What casting rod good for Fraser sockeye fishing ???  (Read 7264 times)

staffy

What casting rod good for Fraser sockeye fishing ???
« on: August 19, 2010, 09:13:15 AM »

I'm using a TFO 3106 rod with Calcutta 400 reel for salmon fishing at the Chillwack, looking for a rod for the sockeye fishing at Fraser because I found that the TFO rod is not good enough, any suggestion?
Btw, my friend is using the 65 lb Xp yellow line for the main line at Fraser, but get tangle all the time, any suggestion for him?
Thanks in advance.

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: What casting rod good for Fraser sockeye fishing ???
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:09:05 AM »

When you say your rod is not good enough, is that because you are having a hard time bouncing the weights you are using? Most people when flossing for sockeye use 2 to 3 ounce weights.  Your rod then has to be able to handle these types of weights and most manufacturers put this along with the line rating on their rods.  In terms of rod action you would be looking at a Medium Heavy to Heavy action rod.
As far as your friend having problems with the Tufline. Did he have this line loaded on at a tackle shop using the line spooler.  If not, the line is probably not wound on correctly, and he should take it into  a fishing shop to have the line loaded properly under tension.

lovetofish

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 01:29:50 PM »

When you say your rod is not good enough, is that because you are having a hard time bouncing the weights you are using? Most people when flossing for sockeye use 2 to 3 ounce weights.  Your rod then has to be able to handle these types of weights and most manufacturers put this along with the line rating on their rods.  In terms of rod action you would be looking at a Medium Heavy to Heavy action rod.
As far as your friend having problems with the Tufline. Did he have this line loaded on at a tackle shop using the line spooler.  If not, the line is probably not wound on correctly, and he should take it into  a fishing shop to have the line loaded properly under tension.
Under Tension is the key! Tie your line to a tree or something and unwind all of your line.  Then reel in the line with tension as you slowly walk towards the tree.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 02:05:14 PM »

A Fenwick HMX is great for the money.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 05:00:27 PM »

Trophy make a 12ft casting rod.

vandenhooff

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 05:11:59 PM »

I own a 4pc Trophy casting travel rod (TCS7105MLC). It's rated Medium Light, 8-17# line. I was worried it may not handle 2 - 3 oz weights. Last weekend I strapped on my Daiwa TD Luna 253 with 50# braid and had no problems. I was casting 3.0 oz as far as any one and was pleasently surprised. I think I paid ~129.00 + tax at Berry's Bait in February 2010.

staffy

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 09:55:06 PM »

Thanks for everyone, will go out for shopping this weekend.
Shopping is good  ;D

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 10:04:46 PM »

Shimmano Technium, or Convergence
Fenwick HMX

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

chilliwackfisher

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 11:39:55 PM »

I have the Shimano Convergence which o.k but I really miss my Fenwick Candian Methods.  Best rod I have ever had, got me alot of fish but I busted it going into the chehailis canyon.Sucks. I tried to get anothe but it seems they dont make them any more. I found it "softer" then the shimano I have now but the shimano has a great warranty from my tackle shop so I took it.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 10:51:18 AM »

Btw, my friend is using the 65 lb Xp yellow line for the main line at Fraser, but get tangle all the time, any suggestion for him?

Does your friend fishing a baitcaster at any point in the year other than sockeye?  Maybe he just needs to learn how to use a baitcast?

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 12:55:18 PM »

another vote for the shimano technium. handles the 2 to 3 oz betties fine and still has good action. casts great bounces well.

and as for your buddy, if he's just using a baitcaster for the first time make sure he's got it turned right way around (opposite to a spinng reel)
and has his thumb on the spool. i had my friend out yesterday, who borrowed his dad's river rod. little did i know he'd never used a baitcaster
i look over and he's casting it upside down, next thing i know he's weaving a wig on his reel *doh!* "ok, lets start from the beginning..."
im sure theres youtube videos on how to cast with one. goodluck

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 01:46:27 PM »

Um alwaysfishn...you objected to Sterling saying flossers are the lowest common denomonator...we rest our case:

"....little did i know he'd never used a baitcaster,i look over and he's casting it upside down, next thing i know he's weaving a wig on his reel "

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
(cause one just wasnt enough!)

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 05:11:57 PM »

shimano cennan reigns over the technium for bottum bouncing  . med.heavy 10-40 lb  super sensitive and super strong  , although more expensive

samw

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 11:29:37 PM »

I have the Shimano Convergence which o.k but I really miss my Fenwick Candian Methods.  Best rod I have ever had, got me alot of fish but I busted it going into the chehailis canyon.Sucks. I tried to get anothe but it seems they dont make them any more.

Just FYI, Berry's still sells the Fenwick Canadian Methods.

http://www.berrysbait.com/products.aspx?cat=216&man=24&type=CMST

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 01:47:30 PM »

If you want the ultimate Fraser bouncing rod PM me your e-mail address and I will let you know which one is the best but it will cost you about $700 as it is a custom made rod.  As for the baitcaster I use 50lb XP myself cause it will cast further and I would suggest the he tighten the cast control to prevent it from overspooling and to use his thumb as well.  The line will over loop at the begining of the cast the most.  Also it is good to flick the leader directly behind you then cast out quickly to prevent the hook from sinking to much which causes resistance and messes up the cast.