Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: flyfishing for socks  (Read 4817 times)

slurpie

flyfishing for socks
« on: August 18, 2011, 09:23:53 AM »

Has anyone tried flyfishing on the fraser for socks with any degree of success?  People say socks dont bite and hence bottom bouncing seems to be the "only" reliable method to target them.

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: flyfishing for socks
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 09:56:36 AM »

Flyfishing for sockeye can be very successful. A heavy sink tip makes a wonderful flossing machine if you choose to use it that way. Of course you will be overrun by bottom bouncers, especially now with the high water conditions.
Visibility in the Fraser is almost zero and socks don't bite under those conditions. In the Harrison or even the Vedder you can target sockeye on the fly but they are catch and release only.

slurpie

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:25:14 AM »

Yes, I've fly caught my share of socks on the vedder where they are holed up and schooled.  Lots of fun.  Fish caught on the strip back.  But I would rather try to fish for socks in the slower reaches of the Fraser where the bbers don't fish and target biting fish.  Any insights?

adecadelost

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 11:14:28 AM »

It's going to be very tricky in the fraser just because the visibility is so poor.
You might have some success if you can find some slack water running along the seam where another (clearer) river dumps into the fraser.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 11:53:39 AM »

yes last sock season i fly fished for them on the fraser and caught 8 in a couple hours (catch and release). I used a very heavy sink tip and a fly with dumbell eyes and a short leader about 3 feet. Just find a shallower bar with less people, i found the best place on the fly for socks was about 300 yards down from the bridge in hope and we were the only ones on that whole strech. Just cast straight infront of you to where theres fish rising throw a big mend or 2 up river then swing into the shallow clamer water. oh and yes sockeye do bite in the fraser i caught a couple on the retrieve.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 01:07:12 AM »

I was catching craploads of sockeye on the spey last year. I was hoping to do the same this year also but with the river so high there is many spots this year to get room enough
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

ricer

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 10:19:28 AM »

Don't forget there was 30+ million sockeye moving up last year - kind of increases the chances of hooking up wether by floss or "bite"

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 10:30:57 AM »

Has anyone tried flyfishing on the fraser for socks with any degree of success?  People say socks dont bite and hence bottom bouncing seems to be the "only" reliable method to target them.

So thats where they dissappear to from the dryer..... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

purplehelmet

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 05:41:51 PM »

Any particular 'go to' flies?
It's NOT good for the smoker!

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 06:57:07 PM »

Used a small (size 8) natural rolled muddler with silver body and a silver bead head to pretty good effect so far - killer for Pinks too  ;)
Try the fly!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 07:47:15 PM »

My best fly was a chartruese clouser but then again the Fraser had alot of clarity last year
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

purplehelmet

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 07:49:24 PM »

Thanks boys...  Ah, the Rolled Muddler...  Is there anything it can't do?
It's NOT good for the smoker!

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 08:08:25 PM »

"Ah, the Rolled Muddler...  Is there anything it can't do?" .......... not really!  I tend to 'faff' around with them (bits of yellow / green / blue, etc, blended in as an under wing for a flash of colour).

Sometimes use a large headed muddler design to float with a sink tip - that works well too - bounces around in the current well
Try the fly!

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 08:39:38 PM »

My best fly was a chartruese clouser but then again the Fraser had alot of clarity last year

I was trying with one on the Harrison today, but did not produce anything but Pike Minnow.  The Pink Clouser produced a pink of course.
Not all those who wander are lost

2fly

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 10:03:35 PM »

We were pis&@$& them off with big Moal leaches on the upper Pitt, man they hate that fly,The Muddler has reserved parking in the fly boxes, that is one fly that has more than proven itself.