Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sandheads  (Read 3294 times)

Alomar

Sandheads
« on: July 26, 2021, 03:02:32 PM »

Is sandheads open to pinks and hatchery coho?

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Sandheads
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 09:26:11 PM »

There are a number of reasons why it can hard to understand the tidal regs as it does take a certain degree of English proficiency and cognitive ability to work through vast amount of everchanging documentation.  I get that. They are complicated at the best of times.

Having said that, I also suggest that it is an angler's responsibility to do their level best to understand the regulations on their own. It's dangerous to base your fishing activity on what some anonymous guy on the internet says is legal or not.

So, putting it out there Alomar, what is your best understanding of the regs per your question?

redside1

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 10:24:26 AM »

it's not currently open. It is currently scheduled to open September 1 from what i understand currently

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 10:29:07 AM »

There are a number of reasons why it can hard to understand the tidal regs as it does take a certain degree of English proficiency and cognitive ability to work through vast amount of everchanging documentation.  I get that. They are complicated at the best of times.

Having said that, I also suggest that it is an angler's responsibility to do their level best to understand the regulations on their own. It's dangerous to base your fishing activity on what some anonymous guy on the internet says is legal or not.

So, putting it out there Alomar, what is your best understanding of the regs per your question?
Great answer. Now I’m waiting for Ralph to add a long winded comment complete with links…wait for it…

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 11:53:36 AM »

29-3 and 29-4 off the light ship, where most people fish what is called sand heads

is open to hatchery coho and pinks, but if you want hach coho and pinks then south bowen and west van is the place to be.

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s29-eng.html

The banana is closed to salmon fishing but its in shallow water and most people don't fish it.

pinks and hatch coho don't start to show up in numbers till mid to late august off of sandheads.

chinook is closed for retention and not scheduled to open till september 1.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 11:55:11 AM by wildmanyeah »

Alomar

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 12:17:11 PM »

Haha ....... Thanks wildman

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 01:09:19 PM »

Sigh...thwarted in my attempt to encourage independent thinking  ;)

stsfisher

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 01:57:05 PM »

So 29-9 and 29-10 is not considered "Sand Heads" I don't fish out there but thought this was what everyone considered  sand heads? Learned something new today if I can trust, as clarki puts it, some anonymous guy on the internet. :)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 02:04:48 PM »

So 29-9 and 29-10 is not considered "Sand Heads" I don't fish out there but thought this was what everyone considered  sand heads? Learned something new today if I can trust, as clarki puts it, some anonymous guy on the internet. :)

look on a chart are see how far the south arm jetty comes out.

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating@10&key=g_sjHzytoV
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 02:14:12 PM by wildmanyeah »

stsfisher

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 02:21:11 PM »

look on a chart are see how far the south arm jetty comes out.

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating@10&key=g_sjHzytoV

Is there an overlay option for each MU ?? But yes it becomes much clearer, thank you.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 02:26:01 PM by stsfisher »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 02:26:40 PM »

then toblank line   49°15.440′N   123°16.778′W   [North Arm Jetty Light]
then toblank line   49°06.358′N   123°18.188′W   [Sand Heads Light]

this is the boundary for 29-3

roughly  https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating/routing/manual@9&key=ukakHvhioV
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 02:32:19 PM by wildmanyeah »

stsfisher

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 02:35:50 PM »

then toblank line   49°15.440′N   123°16.778′W   [North Arm Jetty Light]
then toblank line   49°06.358′N   123°18.188′W   [Sand Heads Light]

this is the boundary for 29-3

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating/routing/manual@9&key=o%7DckH%60jaoV
Thank you wildmanyeah, I think anyone would agree the average guy looking to interpret the regs might have a few questions for the more savvy and experienced guys who are on the water much more often. Nice to see some step up and answer a few questions with out a blanket figure it out on your own. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 10:29:25 PM »

Great answer. Now I’m waiting for Ralph to add a long winded comment complete with links…wait for it…

sheesh there is still a couple of nitwits posting here. I checked out the regs for 29 and couldn't figure it out either. I thought maybe pinks and coho are technically open ... chum too I guess but I don't know exactly where Sandheads is either. So why bother to respond. I think you and Aaron might enjoy shacking up together maybe?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

kanuckle head

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2021, 04:31:19 PM »