Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly hook size for trout?  (Read 8390 times)

jimmywits

Re: Fly hook size for trout?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 08:21:19 PM »

Thanks guys, I'm heading out to Wholesale sports later today where I'm probably gonna pickup a fly rod with a sinking line to troll leech patters. Gonna see if they sell pumpkin head flies there to try out @ Rolley lake on Saturday along with black & olive woolly buggers :D
Good move, for trolling leech patterns and wooley buggers (same thing) etc ; you don't need to spend much money on rod and reel or line, and you will be successfull. The main concern presently will be the temperature of the water as we get further into summer.

FishOn36

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 09:29:49 PM »

Good move, for trolling leech patterns and wooley buggers (same thing) etc ; you don't need to spend much money on rod and reel or line, and you will be successfull. The main concern presently will be the temperature of the water as we get further into summer.

Thanks jimmywits, I ended up getting this package http://www.amundson.ca/flyfishing/rockymountain/rockymountain.html and this line http://buy.scientificanglers.com/lines/fly-lines/professional-series-full-sinking-type-iv-gray-html.html (Professional Series- Full Sinking - Type IV - Gray, WF- 8-S).

EDIT: Going to return this tomorrow, stupid me...was kinda in a rush yesterday to pickup a combo but after doing some research a 8wt for trout is WAY overkill. Ideally a 5-6wt is what I need...right?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 12:05:05 AM by FishOn36 »

jimmywits

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 08:20:21 AM »

Thanks jimmywits, I ended up getting this package http://www.amundson.ca/flyfishing/rockymountain/rockymountain.html and this line http://buy.scientificanglers.com/lines/fly-lines/professional-series-full-sinking-type-iv-gray-html.html (Professional Series- Full Sinking - Type IV - Gray, WF- 8-S).

EDIT: Going to return this tomorrow, stupid me...was kinda in a rush yesterday to pickup a combo but after doing some research a 8wt for trout is WAY overkill. Ideally a 5-6wt is what I need...right?

Right, a 5/6 weight fly rod is the most universal of sizes, covers all the bases.

FishOn36

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 11:06:21 PM »

Right, a 5/6 weight fly rod is the most universal of sizes, covers all the bases.

Okay, so I got myself a proper setup..paid a bit more but who cares. 9" Fenwick Eagle GT 5wt rod and a Reddington 5/6 "RISE" reel in dark charcoal color. Unfortunately they didn't have a 5wt full sinking line so I ended up getting an intermediate.

jimmywits

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 09:29:47 AM »

Okay, so I got myself a proper setup..paid a bit more but who cares. 9" Fenwick Eagle GT 5wt rod and a Reddington 5/6 "RISE" reel in dark charcoal color. Unfortunately they didn't have a 5wt full sinking line so I ended up getting an intermediate.
Nice set -up, but to get your bug deep without adding weight, you will need a type 4 full sinker. Your intermediate sink line is also an exellent addition to your arsenal, but for daytime fishing in the summer it may not get deep enough.

FishOn36

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 08:51:34 PM »

Nice set -up, but to get your bug deep without adding weight, you will need a type 4 full sinker. Your intermediate sink line is also an exellent addition to your arsenal, but for daytime fishing in the summer it may not get deep enough.

I went to Army & Navy in Langley today to pick up a few things, they didn't have any full sinking 5wt line either which was pretty disappointing. Intermediate should work do for now..will add a tiny bit of weight if needed.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:29:14 AM by FishOn36 »