Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack Lake, June 7th 2009  (Read 1160 times)

Trophy Fisher

Chilliwack Lake, June 7th 2009
« on: June 07, 2009, 10:28:35 PM »

Today two buddies and I took a trip to Chilliwack Lake to go bottom fishing. When we got there, there was I sign at the front entrance that said “Beach and boat launch CLOSED.” At seeing this, our jaws all dropped to the floor of the Dodge. We decided to drive down to take a look anyways since we were already there. The water was high and covered the top of the ramp by 6”-8” but the gate was open and we decided to launch. We went to the far end of Chilliwack Lake and dropped anchor 60’ off the shoal. I threw out a krill to the bottom and within 3 minutes I had a sucker on and the biggest one I have ever caught.  But after seeing WESTFORM pull a beautiful bull trout up, I decided to switch up and copy my buddy and threw on a chunk of boraxed dog row. All together, us three amigos pulled up 8 bulls and a sucker (Westform pulled up the bulk of the fish  - I’ll give him credit where credit is due.) All in all a great day and a great way to end a weekend!

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack Lake, June 7th 2009
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 01:33:06 PM »

Good fishing indeed.  Sorry for this hijack but I have always wondered why it is legal to kill Bull Trout in lakes (Chilliwack, Cultus, Pitt, etc) but not in rivers?  Anyone else think this is strange? 

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 03:49:23 PM »

Good fishing indeed.  Sorry for this hijack but I have always wondered why it is legal to kill Bull Trout in lakes (Chilliwack, Cultus, Pitt, etc) but not in rivers?  Anyone else think this is strange? 

Could it possibly be that they are spawning in streams and rivers and that they are being protected for the spawn?

Robert_G

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 04:27:23 PM »

There is no shortage of Dolly Varden in Chilliwack Lake.

roeman

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 04:43:40 PM »

There is no shortage of Dolly Varden in Chilliwack Lake.

There was no shortage of sockey 15 years ago..................lets kill them all...
Are you fishin or catchin

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 07:51:25 PM »

Im guessing you were bottom fishing? What time of day were you out? Whats size are the bulls? Thanks for the report, I dont hear to many on that lake....
The Bigger The Better!

Trophy Fisher

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 09:25:30 AM »

we got to the lake at about 8am, the trout were about 1.5lb to 3lb and you we were fishing the bottom. we were in 35'-50' of water