Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pay it Forward  (Read 3228 times)

Hoop71

Pay it Forward
« on: October 31, 2016, 05:27:47 PM »

I was fishing at the Stave today and the Chum were everywhere and it wasn't that busy due to the rain. A gentleman came and began fishing to my right but he was woefully inexperienced/prepared. He was using a spinning rod/reel and it was turned upside down (so reel is above rod) and watching him cast his float went straight under the water as his weight was too heavy for his float. He tried fishing like this for about 15 minutes and in that time I had brought in 3 fish and he commented that he must have bad luck or must be doing something wrong.

I brought in my line and asked him to come over to see if I could help him out a little. I looked at his set-up and it was no wonder he wasn't getting anything. He had a small float then had a far too heavy weight attached to his main line. His leader was about 2 feet long with a hook and piece if wool. I'm not too sure the size of hook but it was SMALL and I told him that if he hooked a Chum with that the hook would break in half. I then set up his rod with a proper "short float" set up from my own tackle. I asked him why he was fishing with the reel turned up and he said it was easier because he has trouble with his left hand. I then took his reel and switched the handle to the other side and told him to keep the reel under the rod. He looked in amazement as he had no idea the reel could be switched like that. I gave him his rod and set-up and few tips on how to cast/drift etc. and went back to fishing.

I was watching him out of the corner of my eye while I was fishing and he hooked into 3 chum and landed 2 on his next 5 casts, he was soooo happy! I said to him while he was reeling in a Chum that it is much easier when you have the correct setup and he gave me a big thumbs up!

He asked me how much he owed me for the supplies and I said don't worry about it to keep it so he can go buy his own.

Just thought I would share and hopefully encourage others to do the same in the future.

Dan

ByteMe

Re: Pay it Forward
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 05:37:31 PM »

Well Done Dan!!, feels good when you can help someone else out instead of cussing at them for being a noob........would be nice if there were more of people like you out on the flows :) :)
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 05:40:37 PM »

Good on ya!

Gabo

• Fish On!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 06:04:33 PM »

nice one

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 06:14:19 PM »

Nicely done. This is exactly what us in the know should all try do once in a while. I've done that before several times.

Hopefully the guy took a picture of the set-up before he lost his gear.

Sometimes that's all it takes - someone just plain out show someone what to do and it's instant success.

Sleep well tonight - you earned good karma points today.

243Pete

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 06:54:08 PM »

Awesome Dan, sharing knowledge and helping others is key to our sport.

dave c

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 06:57:42 PM »

Nicely done Dan>

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 07:45:22 PM »

That's one of the nicest stories i have ever heard. I must be getting soft because that almost brought a tear to my eye.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 07:46:02 PM »

Good karma to you. Well done !

Walleye76

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 07:57:20 PM »

Well done, in the time it took you to do that you have probably made one less "wool" fisherman on the flows!

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 10:21:35 PM »

Good on you, man. Finally, a very positive posting after a while...

JustPuttsin

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »

Thumbs Up!! And I'll bet he will never forget the help he got that day!