Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re: green timbers lake  (Read 1152 times)

chomperman

Re: green timbers lake
« on: October 07, 2014, 12:21:39 AM »

Just a brief update on fishing here, I just went today with my two year old and lured fish with no luck.  That said, I think the problem was that we were just not casting it out far enough into the lake.  There were four other anglers around us and they all caught their two trout limit within 90 minutes.  Bring a heavy enough weight to cast it to half-way between the shore and the reed section in the middle of the lake.  They were using floating artificial roe and were incredibly successful.  We were at the south end of the lake.  There is a A LOT of weeds so spoons and spinners will not be very effective at all.  The lake had just been stocked on thursday and we were there on monday so there was plenty of fish to catch. 

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: green timbers lake
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 01:41:50 PM »

My experience there has been bottom fishing.

Rig up a light trout spinning rod with a small barrel weight above a swivel and a 2-3 ft leader.
On a small hook (size 4?), mold green Powerbait pellets into the shape of a grub covering the whole hook.

Cast out about 50 feet (depends on how much weeds are around where you are).
Let the weight sink to the bottom - the Powerbait will float slightly above the soft bottom.

Put the rod in a rod holder and wait for the bite.
Be careful though, as they put some large (3+ lb) brood stock in there sometimes.

Make sure that you are going to retain the rainbows with this method as it usually results in a deep hookset.

You can also successfully chironomid fish there as well.