Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Standard Perfection Loop; Strong enough for Steelhead?  (Read 3861 times)

dufflayer

Standard Perfection Loop; Strong enough for Steelhead?
« on: April 11, 2016, 03:05:31 PM »

I've tested my luck and succeeded a number of times using a perfection loop to tie on streamers and as a loop-to-loop connection between leader and sink tip. Has anyone ever had one fail? Is there a better knot for this application?

Thanks!
Go Leafs Go

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Standard Perfection Loop; Strong enough for Steelhead?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 04:21:15 PM »

it's a good knot though it's usually used to put a loop in the end of line.

The non-slip mono loop is somewhat stronger and is more convenient if you want to tie a fly or lure on with an open loop.

http://www.animatedknots.com/nonslipmono/#ScrollPoint
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

doja

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 04:39:56 PM »

I do the same (although the most basic loop you can...) and it always break mid line.....  I have no concerns if it's tied properly... I'm lazy and use it when ever I possibly can, lol.  Only land trout up to 10# but as said,  never breaks at the loop that I can remember... With cold hands it's super easy to tie. 

ByteMe

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 06:48:07 PM »

It's a good knot. Just make sure after you tighten, your tab is at 90 degrees with the loop, you shouldn't have a prob then. It also works better when your tippets are at last 12lb test
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 09:04:38 PM »

I use it to do a 10 foot, 15 pound flouro leader to my 15 pound braided mainline when tossing spoons. Haven't had it pull out or break on a fish yet. Steelhead up to 18, coho to mid twenties, and Chinook over 30.

Quick and easy, and best of all - reliable.

whereismyfloat

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 09:24:47 PM »

Everyday,

Do you mean you're doing a loop to loop connection? Braid to flouro?
 Might give that a whirl this year. Somewhere in my internet travels I found a good braid to flouro knot
 but connecting by loops would be much easier. No problems casting through the guides with loops?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 09:40:28 PM »

The perfection loop results in a nice small knot and the loop is in line with the standing part of the line. At an average breaking strength of 95% or less is it weaker than either the double surgeons loop or the non- slip loop both of which are very close to 100%.

I stopped using it many years ago when in use when there was a line break, it failed every time when used loop to loop with the double surgeons loop.

Still it's a strong knot and it's a matter of choice. Even a simple 6x clinch knot performs well in most situations.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dufflayer

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »

I use it to do a 10 foot, 15 pound flouro leader to my 15 pound braided mainline when tossing spoons. Haven't had it pull out or break on a fish yet. Steelhead up to 18, coho to mid twenties, and Chinook over 30.

Quick and easy, and best of all - reliable.

Wow! I run a mono leader on all my braid set-ups but always do an albright knot to join the two- that is - if the mono is a bigger diameter than the braid... I hit it with some super glue so that the guides don't bang up the knot. Casts easier that way too.
Crazy to hear you have brought in 30 pounders on such a simple knot. Personally, I would be worried about the braid digging in to the mono since it's a thinner/harder material.
Go Leafs Go