Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Season CANCELLED  (Read 5272 times)

PistolPete

Steelhead Season CANCELLED
« on: November 22, 2006, 03:15:57 PM »

Looks like the Vedder is going to take a while to clean up, any guesses as to how long before it is fishable ?

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Re: Steelhead Season CANCELLED
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 05:10:18 PM »

its gonna be a boomer year

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 06:10:57 PM »

Hopefully it wont take a while!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 08:09:08 PM »

Well if it does not clear up due to the clay banks the upper river above allison pools will be a GONG show. Could you imagine everybody fishing shoulder to shoulder like the fraser for steelhead season. I guess there will be no solitude as in previous years  :'( :'( :'( .

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 08:27:03 PM »

big my friend gooy bob and a 2 inch glob of roe will do ;D ;D ;D

4four

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 10:49:05 PM »

"Steelhead season CANCELLED"

Haha...Not likely.

Anyone know where I can find 12" pink worms?

8)

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 11:13:58 PM »

tie them in tandom

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 11:20:16 PM »

Big Black is not just a band... It's the new way of life on the Vedder this year.

:)
Nicole
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 11:23:35 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 11:22:30 PM »

Its gona be atleast a month till we even see any good fishing whats everyone so worried about it will get cold and the water will drop. I hope lol!
[

PistolPete

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 02:53:30 PM »

Floater you own a gravel truck ? so when it starts to drop you can put rocks in front of the clay-banks , sounds good eh........

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 05:56:22 AM »

Just got a update from David on the Clay bank situation.

Slesse Creek, considerbale siltation from above the old slide and from a side creek.

Ranger Run, side channel cutting and contributing silt.

Thurston camp, massive slide across the river, from over bedrock, many seams of gravel so may be less harmful.

Slesse Park Slide, the work done here holding up.

Tolmie, major slump covering about 8 groynes that are holding well. Thanks to the work of CRAC or it could have been worse.

Siscoe slide, holding well.

Willow run, river now away from the clay banks.

Prognosis,

Siltation from the mentioned glacial clay banks will effect the lower Chilliwack Vedder River for many months causing sealing of spawning beds and chocking of the river bed.

The mentioned siltation will have determental effect on steelhead migration this winter and sportfishing opportunities.

The Gap Analysis study of the clay banks that CRAC has applied for funding through the Living Rivers fund for this winter is now more urgent than ever.

Does not look good as Pistol Pete has mentioned for this season. When and if it clears it most likely silt up quickly after rain. Lets hope for a cold winter or it will not be a good season for steelheading.

We will just have to wait and see but we may be back to a situation we had a number of years ago, I hope I am just being too pessimistic, time will tell on this statement.

nosey

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 01:31:56 PM »

Well it's Sunday now and cold as it was at any time last year probably by Wednesday after the watr cleans up and drops we'll be able to get a glimpse of what this winters fishing will look like. The Vedder has survived horrible November washouts before and still been fihy by mid December, I hope Chris's predictions are on the pessimistic side but I know he's way better informed than I am. One thing I do know for sure is that soon as the river cleans up it would be a good idea to walk the entire section of river you plan on fishing just to find where the fishable water will be because there's sure gonna be a lot of changes out there.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 04:57:53 PM »

I hope that I am not being too pessimistic but I do know when we get rain it will colour up and stay that way a lot longer than the last few years because of the new clay slides. David was planning a tour of them this Tuesday but I donot know now with the weather we are getting now. We want to shoot some video. May try to shoot a story for Global or see if they are interested to do it but that will have to wait now as snow stories will be taking all the headlines for the next few days. :o

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 09:03:52 PM »

Pistol Pete. It is starting to shape up like we predicted. :'( We will need cold weather thats for sure.
The last few days because of the snow melt it is looking very silty and milky. :(
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:07:54 PM by chris gadsden »

PistolPete

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 10:19:36 PM »

I will say the Derby is a 50/50 if it is a go for boxing day..... Oh yes Chris I have a donated a nice Markus Naslund Autograph framed photo and a Evgeni Malkin autograph Jersey for silent auction for the derby........