Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How many near misses ?  (Read 3620 times)

Blue Heron

How many near misses ?
« on: February 08, 2007, 10:45:20 PM »

I just was reading about people using there wading belts and of thought of this. How many times have you fell into the water
with waders on and been scared for your life? I remember one time on the Seymour I just about lost it. My Friend and I were
fishing first light just above the stairs at the end of Riverside drive. It was about late February and I thought I could make to a
boulder 5 feet of shore. I did a jump and the current just took me. There was rapids that fed into a canyon. I side stroked to
shore and didn't lose any gear. My buddy was freaked it happened so fast for me I was in shock. The water is pretty cold this
time of year. To make matters worst I was wearing some old Wardell neoprenes with the boots sealed to the wader. I found out
later that those were banned due to high fatality rates. I got lucky and sort of learned my lesson. Sometimes I'm still dumb and
risk it for that right spot.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
Re: How many near misses ?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 08:13:12 AM »

this year up on the vedder :P those rocks can be slippery but got back to shore and kept fishing good thing the sun came out it dryed all my gear :) I caught 2 salmon that day
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 04:27:34 PM »

This year on the chehalis, hooked into a big coho, and both my hip waders filled up! I had to chase him down the river, thank god i didn't fall in!
Fish killer 101

Blue Heron

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 04:30:53 PM »

Younggun your crazy  :o No fish is worth your life./ Were you wearing a wading belt at least/

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 04:47:25 PM »

i was wearing hip waders so i wasn't to deep, about croch height. So i was fine but man was that water cold!  ;D
Fish killer 101

Pat AV

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 04:49:07 PM »

My most recent close call was on the Skykomish on a mini washington road trip (early december 2006)
 I was wading across a small sandy side channel. The water was only about three inches deep but the sand was very soft. I was making my way carefull a cross when the soft sand got deep and I went in past my left knee into the sand. I tried to pull myself out for 15 minutes with my free leg, but I felt like I was going to dislocate my knee. I gave up on trying to pull myself out and started digging in the sand to try and free my leg, this did not work either as the sand was backfilling as fast as I could get it out.

The sand was so tight around my knee that it felt like concrete. I was a little bit concerned so I flagged down the next jet boat and got them to help me get out. It took the two guys in the boat and all of the strength in my right leg to finally free my left leg. I was very surprised my wading boot did not get ripped off.

Thank god I was on the sky where there are alot of people around. If I had been bushwacking in some remote river somewhere:
what a way to go like being stuck in a leg hold trap, waiting for hypothermia at nightfall and hoping beyond hope for someone else to come along.
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 04:53:11 PM »

man it sucked so much, oh well atleast i landed my 14lb coho
Fish killer 101

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 05:17:54 PM »

2 years ago on the Vedder I had an incident. It was in May when the river is fly only. We were fishing and I was crossing this section to get to some nice water. It was not very deep but one side had a pool I wanted to fish which was about 6 feet deep. I started crossing and the gravel which was under my feet started giving out. I was already about half way across by this time and could not turn back. The gravel finally gave away from under my feet and I went down. I was wearing my wading belt luckily. I was in about four feet of water and it was sucking me down. I managed to get close to a ledge and get my foot on it and just power myself up and over after about 3 minutes of going up and down. I was fishing with a buddy which could not hear me as he was too far away. After that I just got up and collapsed to the ground. I had no energy left in me. My buddy saw me and asked what happened. After that we stuck close together.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Mike D.

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 05:35:33 PM »

I had 1 near miss, happened ohhhh...something like 5-6 years ago on the fraser....I was 10 or 11....chased down a big spring (well to me) and had to walk around a guys boat, we didn't reely hop in the boat than.....well, I did not see his anchor line 20-25ft infront of his boat so slip! off I went, instant hip waders full of water....the water was around croch height....and I drifted down about 30-40 feet along the bottom of the river!!! before I stuck my rod butt into the ground and pulled myself up and stood in around chest high water....and lost the fish, got the hip waders full of water and myself up onto the shore.....the fish was the last thing on my mind when I was in the water....was very happy to get out of there  :-\ just be careful out there, even though water looks shallow it is deep...too bad I learned that the hard way...

Mike <"))))))><

Boozi

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 11:33:47 PM »

^
^^
 |

;D

Good memories
Toss that Roe and get a Hoe

Ribwart

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 07:56:26 AM »

Went for a "swim" through  4 1/2 feet of water the other day...man it's hard doing the front crawl with an 11 ft rod in you hand... ;D
Be careful out there kids... ;)

Walter Q

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 08:05:42 AM »

Two near misses that I REALLY remember. Both on the Squamish. Both when I was a little younger. And both times I was swept downstream into the Squamish's notorious "log jams". From those two experinces I now always do a good look downstream before I decided to wade across in case that I am swimming again. I don't mind the dunking,,,it's the damn wood that scares the crap out of me.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 08:53:40 PM »

Two close calls today. Was fishing the stamp and the water was high almost in trees so i wanted to wade deep to get enough room for a backcast and the 2 feet of water i was standing in gaveway and i was up to my mid waist but stayed balanced thank god. The second close call today was after i left the stamp and went to a little creek on the westcoast. I was alone and in the middle of freakin nowhere with the nearest thing being a logging road 3 km away. I slipped in a shallow run and fell down but luckily the current didnt catch me as below me was a deep canyon and i would have had to hike out.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 09:05:40 PM »

Never ever go wading when the water is in the trees. It's not worth it. It's only a fish.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »

The water level was actually near perfect on the stamp there isnt much bank to fish from. Makes it a pain