Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spin & Glows  (Read 8044 times)

Carich980

Spin & Glows
« on: August 13, 2012, 07:18:24 PM »

I was watching a few videos on how to Bar fishing just because I was thinking of trying something different from Spey casting for a day. And I thought to myself I wonder if anyone has ever tried Spey Casting Spin & glows for springs hahaha. So call me Spey crazy I guess but who thinks it would work? Or wouldn't it... I think i may have to test this out.

Say 9/10 Spey Rod, 15- 20' of T-17 or T- 20 and a large spin & glow, One could could even spider thread an egg sac on there?

The only concern would be tangles but if that were the case a stiffer/heavier leader material would solve that problem right?

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: Spin & Glows
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 08:48:06 PM »

I'm not sure of your serious or just trolling but...

At that point you are so far from "fly fishing" any more, why not just grab a gear rod?

Just because someone uses a fly rod, does not mean they are fly fishing.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 09:07:52 PM »

No but I have thought about using Corkies as an indicator. Never actually done it, since I can count on one hand how many times Ive used them, but I do have one in my fishing jacket just in case I want to go crazy!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Carich980

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 11:15:27 PM »

I'm not sure of your serious or just trolling but...

At that point you are so far from "fly fishing" any more, why not just grab a gear rod?

Just because someone uses a fly rod, does not mean they are fly fishing.

Actually it does mean just that, I'm sure someone overseas may scream tradition. But if I'm using a Fly rod and Fly line/leader what else would you call it? Now if they had regulations on the river like Fly fishing with FLIES only then I would agree with you. Then one could debate what defines the actual fly. However in this case and most others there are no regulations present as such the parts that form the end are synthetic instead of natural like the majority of most modern flies today or mixture there of.

I Can open my fly box right now and pull out dozens of " flies " that have no natural material on them yet they are made, sold and fished as flies.

Its not traditional or tunnel visioned into one form. I could easy take a spin & glow, tie up a fancy trailer hook, add some feathers and call it a catchy name like Squidro. The only thing not related to traditional fly fishing is the Spin & glow. So the argument that I mine as well Gear fish is not valid.

I think it would work fine. Now I have to think of a catchy name for this new fly.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 08:57:16 AM »

--spey gear would allow you to have the spin-n-glow in the fishy area more often and longer than traditional gear chucker.
--winding in and recast is slower than spey at some distances and depth of running lure the spey could be more effective.
--in crowded conditions would be difficult to mix/accommodate both spey and gear

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 11:07:21 AM »

I friend of mine from sweden ties Pike flies with a prop where we normally put beads. Yes Im a purist... :D :D...
Take the T out of Morton.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 11:08:49 AM »

Spey gear does not keep the spin&glow in the fishy area longer than a bar fisher - their lure is always in the right zone unless it is tangled.
Spin and Glow works by spinning. If you are dead drifting a spin&glow it won't be any more effective than any other fly.
Fishing for springs on the swing (where the spin&glow might actually spin) is generally not productive in the Fraser because they do not travel close to shore and they like the heavy water where it is difficult to get a fly down.
You may be able to floss a few socks this way, but a corkie would work better.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 12:11:22 PM »

If you want to swing a spin n glo on a tip it would work on the Vedder, nowhere near as effective or efficient as legit bb with a 12-18' leader and a couple of inches of pencil lead though as it won't be in the zone for as long or as quickly. Unless you are fishing creek mouths you are wasting your time on the Fraser, the point of  bar fishing is to hopefully hang the spin and glow in the travel lane of the springs. It's just hanging there in the strike zone in the murky water and hopefully the fish comes upon it as it makes its way upstream. If you are swinging a spin n glow it will only be in the lane for a couple of seconds if you are lucky so your odds of the lure and fish being in the same place are way, way less. Also it is hard enough to sink a weighted fly in the heavy current of the fraser, good luck sinking a spin n glo big enough for the fish to see in the murky water.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 02:23:08 PM »

I've tried small spin and glos on single handed rods. Guess what they spin! If you fish the lure down and across it will spin as it's supposed to. From time to time I use a small spoon like a Dick Nite for coho. Works! Really small spinners can be used as well. A pinky nail sized colorado blade in front of a pink fly can be deadly for pinks.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 02:49:01 PM »

No but I have thought about using Corkies as an indicator. Never actually done it, since I can count on one hand how many times Ive used them, but I do have one in my fishing jacket just in case I want to go crazy!

There are guys that use a large corky pegged with a tooth pick to hold it in place as an indicator and they swear by them. Only problem is that it does not release when you hook a fish an can make it difficult to land a fish.

I too have used a size 0 colorado blade made of aluminum when fly fishing for coho and they work really well.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Carich980

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 09:59:39 PM »

So if Im using a roebag on my spey outfit Im still flyfishing?  Dont think so.  And they do have "flyfishing only" regs but they also have "fly only" regs that mean you have to use a fly but can be on a gear or fly rod

I disagree. However you completely missed the whole point of the post. The rest is already said about Fly only in the regs and the fraser is not. I'm not talking about using bait here anyways. All i said was that you could legally use some sort of extra scent or bait as an attractor since the Fraser is so murky. the point is trying something different. We are talking about a river system where no special Regulations are present. And what actually defines a fly is debatable on many levels.

Getting the spin and glo down isn't a problem neither is getting large intruders. Never has been for me anyways. Besides its usually how the fly is made to begin with and dropping an intruder with a glo on the back would be simple.

I'm not even going to respond to people that think Spey guys floss fish. I've seen way more gear guys flossing fish Intentionally rather then a foul hooked fish on any fly gear. Get Real and if you think its so easy go try it.

I bet X amount of year ago no one thought they'd be swinging Bass skirts for steelhead. No its all the rage. Stay stuck in your ways, theres always someone out there to try something different.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 06:28:35 AM »

And for the same reason that it is not as easy to floss with a fly rod as it is with a chunk of  pencil lead and some mono it is also a way less effecient and effective delivery system for a lure. Everyone is free to make their own mind up as to what is or isn't fly fishing but if you want to try a truly more "evolved" version of fly fishing just use a levelwind or chuck a spoon IMO. Isn't part of the challenge of fly fishing that you are limiting yourself to a certain few parameters whatever that may be? Sure you can swing a spin and glo or a blade but will you get the same sense of satisfaction?

hotrod

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 07:22:47 AM »

Would be a pain in the butt to cast! The big ones for sure! Trie to bottom bounce large spin glows on short leader on the fraser and it was terrible! So much resistance!

hotrod

ByteMe

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 08:47:46 AM »

yes it works,I use it every year for springs here on the Stamp on the end of my 8wt.Only thing different is that I use a weighted bead head below the spin n glow.Best color for me has been orange,or orange with a chartreuse top.I add some fish scale prism tape on the wings and swing it just like for steel.Think it would be a killer on the Vedder
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

joshhowat

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 06:51:48 PM »

Kinda off topic but when is the best time for springs On the stamp and are they white or red meat.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.