Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Record Chinook Caught - article  (Read 5297 times)

1son

Re: Record Chinook Caught - article
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »

I Heard about this sunday night on the radio driving back from squamish that's just amazing how big that beast is

rymack

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 11:37:31 PM »

There was a 84 pound catch and release last year at the lodge I work at in the Haida Gwaii
http://www.nsnews.com/West+Vancouver+sets+record+with+pound+monster+chinook/5341674/story.html

FishingKing

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 08:01:15 AM »

What a beast!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 08:14:42 AM »

http://www.fishwithjd.com/2008/08/01/the-story-of-the-world-record-king-salmon/

fish of 126lbs have been caught commercially both in BC and Alaska - so much bigger fish are out there.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 10:33:43 AM »

Ralph is right, there are even bigger fish out there than the sport-caught record(s).  Which always blows my mind when I'm out there fishing.  I often wondered, during my years guiding up in the Haida Gwaii, how many 70 pound fish I'd had take a swipe at my cutplugs.  How many 80 pounders?  And it's even possible there was a 90 or 100+ pound behemoth that came up and gave one of my spinning herring a sniff, or even took a chomp, that we just never got a chance to land. 

I know I had at least one fish on that was over 70 - we had it right near the boat a couple of times - but it eventually broke my guest's line.  Never actually had any guests land any over 60 though, biggest was 56 and in my three and a bit years up there my clients landed 7 over 50 pounds... and 50 pounds is a HUGE fish, so I can't imagine something pushing triple digits.  :)

That's a big part of the lure for me, is wondering what that next bite could present.
:)
Tex

Fillibert

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 11:27:55 AM »

That thing is huge in open water but think of what it would feel like in a small stream. That thing has to make it up the river to do it's thing.
That fish is like an offensive line football player. You see him in the street and go man that guy is fat, but on the field it's a different story...
Bet this fish gets all the ladies

Zanna

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 11:04:45 PM »

Wow how do they even get that big? They must be spending more than the usual 4 years in the ocean.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 11:20:48 PM »

Wow how do they even get that big? They must be spending more than the usual 4 years in the ocean.

A fish that large (not always though) could very possibly be a natural triploid. This can be due to temp/pressure shock situations in the wild.
If a fish that size is a triploid, it won't even go back into the rivers to spawn (they can't even really) so they just live out in the ocean and keep eating and growing.
Notice how all the pics of big fish like this are mint chrome (like I said a few exceptions) so that is my hunch.

I know with a few of these larger fish that they have killed and sampled this was indeed the case, triploid fish that put all energy into growth with some being 6+ years old (just what I remember from class, will have to look around for confirmation). It would be really cool for someone to pluck a few scales off a fish that's being released for age. Won't be able to tell if it's a triploid unless you kill it, but seeing how old these are would be cool.

Zanna

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 12:40:45 AM »

A fish that large (not always though) could very possibly be a natural triploid. This can be due to temp/pressure shock situations in the wild.
If a fish that size is a triploid, it won't even go back into the rivers to spawn (they can't even really) so they just live out in the ocean and keep eating and growing.
Notice how all the pics of big fish like this are mint chrome (like I said a few exceptions) so that is my hunch.

I know with a few of these larger fish that they have killed and sampled this was indeed the case, triploid fish that put all energy into growth with some being 6+ years old (just what I remember from class, will have to look around for confirmation). It would be really cool for someone to pluck a few scales off a fish that's being released for age. Won't be able to tell if it's a triploid unless you kill it, but seeing how old these are would be cool.

That's very interesting it would justify the huge size.

Ok if catch a 60lb I'll keep some scales for testing  ::)

Drewhill

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 12:46:37 PM »

If that went in the fraser it would eat your hook, your leader and your 5oz betty. It would be funny watching someone chase that down scale bar.

Zanna

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 08:19:54 PM »

If that went in the fraser it would eat your hook, your leader and your 5oz betty. It would be funny watching someone chase that down scale bar.

That would make a hell of story  ;D

Fillibert

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 12:22:42 AM »

I was fishing by Hope and got snagged on some abandoned lines weight hook and all. Some of the lines were over 50 pound braid so someone was expecting one of those to come through

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 04:34:12 PM »

50 pound braid so someone was expecting one of those to come through

Yeah, that's it  ::) ::)

:D
A rig out of water catches no fish.