Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In the whistler area.  (Read 3647 times)

hoboryan

In the whistler area.
« on: June 25, 2006, 01:37:38 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I will be staying in the Whistler area next week and was wondering if any rivers nearby offer any trout fishing.  Squamish? Mamquam? Is the Cheakamus still closed?  Feel free to send me an email.

Thanks.

Ryan

hoboryan

Re: In the whistler area.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 01:18:34 PM »

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything?

Thanks.

Ryan

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 04:47:14 PM »

Yo Hobo... your options for the Whistler area are probably gonna be mainly lakes.  Squamish, Upper/Lower Cheakamus/Mamquam are probably too silty and/or high.  Perhaps the Birkenhead River may be fishable. 

For lakes, Alta for C&R of cutties but very limited shore fishability.  Loggers lake is a nice little lake that can be fished from shore, but may be busy with locals swimming/tanning.  There is also Lost Lake right in the village (I think they have a nudy dock there  ;)).

It would probably be best for you to contact the staff at the Whistler Fly Shop for the most up to date reports and conditions. 

Good luck and have fun... usually lots of nice things to see up there (if you know what I mean... ;)).

Shane

hoboryan

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 01:49:41 AM »

Thanks Itosh!

Are there any bans (bait?) on the birkenhead river?? Is access from the park?

Thanks.

Ryan

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 11:54:40 AM »

yea its mainly lakes up there until all the rivers in the squamish area come down a lot. lakes to try are Alta (if shore fishing, fish near off the dock at Alta Lake park with dry flies and leeches and such), Nita, Alpha, Loggers, and Lost lake (and yes lost lake has a nude beach) lol. we have a place right across from nita lake and go there lots. if you go to nita, fish near the creek mouth along the path with worms. some big trout in there. and if your fly-fishing, dries and leeches.

Tight Lines,
CC

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 01:01:38 PM »

Thanks Itosh!

Are there any bans (bait?) on the birkenhead river?? Is access from the park?

Thanks.

Ryan

Just a bait ban, I think.  You should double check though.  There aren't any parks along the river, but there is larger spot to park at the bailey bridge that crosses the river.  Otherwise, it is park anywhere along the hwy and bushwack/walk.  Don't fish the river within the Indian Reserve, they might not like it. 

Another option would be to go up the Duffy Lake road and give Joffre Lake a shot.  Nice little lake with nice spectacular scenery.  Keep driving further along the Duffy Lake road and you can fish Cayoosh Cr. but not sure about the water levels right now.  Fish aren't big but there is a good mix of rainbows and whitefish that can be had.

Shane