Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing the kooteney country  (Read 1048 times)

searun17

• Old Timer
fishing the kooteney country
« on: August 21, 2007, 10:23:07 PM »

Just got back from 10 days in cranbrook and managed to do a little fishing,we mostly fished the St Mary river for westlope cutties.
Its been a few years since i have fished this area but the trout are still as fiesty as i remember them from past trips and the scenery just as brilliant,we managed to have success on the fly ,all fish were caught on foam grasshopper flies,i even had one of the bigger fish take me way into my backing with a short chase down river.during our time on the river i found it very peacefull with only seeing 1 or 2 other fisherman all day,can you say heaven or what.On our second day on the river to my surprise we were checked by the fisheries
CO,this guy must have been lonely ,he hiked about two miles from the parking area down to where we were to check our licenses and gear,after a quick chat he wished us good luck and off he went.On top of the quality fishing the wild life was abundant all around us with eagles ,osprey, and deer making their regular appearance.just thought i would share a few pics with you.

Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Re: fishing the kooteney country
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 08:09:30 AM »

Didn't you have the urge to try the Columbia.  I've never fished it at this time of the year but I hear it can be absolutely fantastic, fishing dries in the back eddies for BIG trout.

BTW, nice pics....those westlopes are are a beautiful trout!  Talk about spots!!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 09:50:59 AM »

Nice report searun. Great pics although one looks like you are wearing a floatation device lol  ;D . Just kidding just jealous I could not make the trip with you. Looking forward to the sqaumish on friday though.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 10:20:21 AM »

Ya I would have loved to spend some time on the Columbia but it just wasn't in the works for this trip, i spent most of my time fishing the rivers in and around the cranbrook area ,You are right the dry fly fishing this time of year on the Columbia is incredible ,those huge rainbows are quite a handfull.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.