Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thieves strike again!!!  (Read 2063 times)

rivan

• The most fun you can have with your boots on!
Thieves strike again!!!
« on: January 21, 2006, 12:50:30 PM »

It seems that I have horrible luck in January.

Last year, while I was finishing work at one of my jobsites, some of the tools I had placed just outside the front door of the house, grew legs and walked away.....I had only placed them out the door and went to grab a few more things and they were gone without any trace in less than 5 minutes.

This year, I was just doing some work at the garage/workshop at my house.  This job required some spray-painting of baseboards and moldings.  My compressor is great for running multiple nailguns at once but sprayers require a lot more CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) than most portable compressors output.  I rented a gas powered compressor from united rentals and had a bunch of my tools locked in my garage with the moldings that I was painting for this job.  I guess I'm lucky that I had taken my trailer to a jobsite that day and left it on-site.  In the middle of the night, while I was sleeping, some jerks broke into the workshop and stole the rented compressor, makita mitresaw, tool chest (containing a lot of wrenches, sockets and other misc, hand tools) and an air-tool kit with my impact wrench and pneumatic ratchet etc. 

If I have learned anything from this experience, ALWAYS  have home/renters insurance, even if you think you haven't needed it in years and seems like a waste of money.  Because I have no insurance to cover me from this theft. I now have to pay United rentals for the loss of the compressor as well as try to recover the loss of the tools i need to do my daily jobs. 

If the culprits have only taken some tools that I didn't rely on to make my daily bread, I don't think I would be quite as upset as I am now.  We need to do something to lower the crime in the lowermainland, the police cant do anything and are too busy with higher priorities to bother dealing with theft. 

If anybody knows where I could start looking to recover my stolen property, please let me know.  I have already filed the police report, gone to a bunch of pawn shops (they don't care and wont do anything to help).
Real anglers dont bring beer

fishinfever

• fishing is REELality
Re: Thieves strike again!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 03:02:16 PM »

won't help much now but in future inscribe your licence # on your tools. Makes it easy for police to track tools back to you and also makes it harder for thief to sell them.
Tool stores like Staple stop in langley also recognise the tools they have sold and check for above number or a invoice no. and have recognised and reported to police.
It really hurts when people steal your source of making a living.
Watch out that the thieves don't hit you again when they think insurance has paid for replacement tools.
Sorry can't help more.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 03:41:42 PM »

You might want to check around some of the bars around your neighbourhood. I've seen people selling stuff in the parking lots of bars which are obviously stolen.

rivan

• The most fun you can have with your boots on!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 04:37:43 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys.....I'll keep my eyes & ears open, even though I have little hope of ever seeing that stuff again.

On a totaly seperate topic...... ??? does anyone know how to Wire a steel sided building so anyone touching it gets  :o zapped?   lol ;D (Just joking ;))
Real anglers dont bring beer

Pantharen

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 10:36:54 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys.....I'll keep my eyes & ears open, even though I have little hope of ever seeing that stuff again.

On a totaly seperate topic...... ??? does anyone know how to Wire a steel sided building so anyone touching it gets  :o zapped?   lol ;D (Just joking ;))

Yeah wire it using the same method a farmer uses to electrafi a fence, now being that cows have a bigger mass than a human, you might want to lower the amperage some.

You might want to check both of the Cash Converters in Surrey, they have a repuataion for buying stolen goods. (discretely enquire about some of your tools, as like your intrested in purchasing)