Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Insult to Injury  (Read 4509 times)

notracy

Insult to Injury
« on: August 18, 2013, 06:39:22 PM »

So this morning I decided to go out to the Vedder river this morning. Started up by the train bridge and worked my way down to the Keith wilson bridge. No action and even worse no fish to be seen. Decided to fish the canal a bit, but before i did i walked around. On the West side of the bridge on the bank of the river i find this:

So The fraser is completly cloed to all fishing,and there is the odd fish in the chilliwack river, stave, and harrison, But yet here i find a nice chinook doe, that someone obviously caught and simply left on the bank. They obviously didnt want it so they left it.

But at a time where our stocks are ridiculously low, why not toss this doe back so that out of all her eggs the 1-3 fish that do survive could make back into the river so that everyone could have a greater chance and we can preserve our sport fishery???
I can only imagine what a CO or the DFO would have to say about this and how it reflects on the sport fishery

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: Insult to Injury
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 06:49:41 PM »

Just because the fish died without spawning does not mean that someone left it on the shore to die. Fish do die from different things such as predators, water temperatures, poor fish handling and over playing a fish to name a few.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 07:14:17 PM »

Fish looks like it just died on its own on the bank. Why would you assume it was from a fisherman?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 07:26:22 PM »

Agreed with the first two posters. Care to explain why you would assume this fish was dumped?
always a student

notracy

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 07:28:47 PM »

If you have been to this location the Bank where the fish was located is 8 feet above the water. Its a high bank where people fish. Typically those that dont have waders fish this side of the canal. The only way for this fish to have gotten there would have been for some to catch it and haul it up on the bank

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 07:35:42 PM »

Seen this before just down from the slab, only in that case they gutted it and took the roe.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 07:43:02 PM »

If you have been to this location the Bank where the fish was located is 8 feet above the water. Its a high bank where people fish. Typically those that dont have waders fish this side of the canal. The only way for this fish to have gotten there would have been for some to catch it and haul it up on the bank

I guess an eagle, otter or other animal that eats fish would be far too weak to move a fish that weighs around 7 or 8 pounds...

::)

notracy

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 08:30:41 PM »

this fish had absolutely no marks on it. Only thing was the seagulls had eaten the eye. I flipped the fish and there were no discernable injuries either. This fish was caught and left on the bank. Had it been an otter, there would have been teeth marks. Had it been an eagle it would have talon marks, and so on. I have been fishing the vedder since 2001, i know the area well and have seen many things. So i am very familiar with what and where fish end up for what reasons. Also having been a beaver, cub, scout, venture, and rover i have spent most of my life in the outdoors and have seen and studied wildlife habitats. this 100 percent was done with human intervention.
To me its just a shame that with the state of the salmon fisheries, especially on the Fraser, this is done on a tributary.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:09:08 PM by notracy »

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 09:20:23 PM »

this fish had absolutely no marks on it. Only thing was the seagulls had eaten the eye. I flipped the fish and there were no discernable injuries either. This fish was caught and left on the bank. Had it been an otter, there would have been teeth marks. Had it been an eagle it would have talon marks, and so on. I have been fishing the vedder since 2001, i know the area well and have seen many things. So i am very familiar with what and where fish end up for what reasons. Also having been a beaver, cub, scout, venture, and rover i have spent most of my life in the outdoors and have seen and studied wildlife habitats. this 100 percent was done with human intervention.
To e its just a shame that with the state of the salmon fisheries, especially on the Fraser, this is done on a tributary.

No marks? It's vent has been pecked at by seagulls and there's two holes above it's right pectoral fin. Looks like the gills are missing as well. I have seen an otter steal a persons dead fish on the river and the person chased the otter away and the fish was 100% fine, no marks.

Good that you have studied where animals live, animal behavior would be how they act and what they do...

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 09:21:54 PM »

I wouldn't get my panties all bunched up over one fish. :o

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 09:27:02 PM »

Pretty unusual to see an adult summer chinook close to spawning down there this time of the year. Most should be in the upper section by now. It may have died from exhaustion, disease, lethal injuries by predation, etc. Someone curious could have brought it up to shore after seeing it dead in the water. Who knows. The current tagging study going on at KWB could have something to do with it too.

Regardless, we're looking at a specimen of a hatchery transplanted run. Dead fish are sad to see, but IMO not worth getting worked up about without fully knowing the cause, especially it has very little relevance to the current status of the Mid and Upper Fraser River stocks.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 10:31:38 PM »

Maybe it could have been a result from an over stressed fish from the tagging study done under the bridge? But very strange for a fish at this time of year in that colour to be that low down river if someone had caught it and just left it. Maybe a fish that just floated down river after a natural death, who knows.

notracy

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 06:29:00 AM »

OK first my panties arnt in bunch, they dont go well with my waders. Secondly i took the pictures with my phone, and i with my own eyes didnt see any injuries that werent post mortem. Now it is possible that yes an animal stole it from somewhere etc. etc etc. And yes perhaps someone drug it up out of the river or whatever? And as for the people doing their studies on the vedder they were on the opposite side of the river.
Regardless. I dont think it looks good rotting on the bank for when our fishery is under a lot of stess. Jut like all the garbage i picked up in the same location the fish was at. All the subway food wrappers, coffee cups, cigarette packages,plastic bottles n so on.

if you fish in this area, you would know that a lot of morons, NOT EVERYONE, but alot do. The flossers etc. the people that haul a sockeye up a bank drag it around and then kick it back type of thing. Have seen it alot in this lcation over the years.

But anyways yes there are a ton of posibilites, but I wouldnt be posting it to begin with if i didnt think i was correct. And it is possible, like all the other theories that i just might be.....
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 06:34:32 AM by notracy »

TNAngler

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 07:40:35 AM »

It is possible that a fisherman caught it, was taking it home and saw something that spooked them, causing them to drop their stash instead of getting caught with an illegally caught fish (ie no license).  Why you would want one that colored beats me.  I guess some people don't care what they take.  I think it is more likely some other reason it ended up there.

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 01:33:58 PM »

seen a guy flossin this year and nail a nice 12 lber, went back the next morning only to find the 12lber still there.  Cut it open no sense wasting roe. 
Jokes on me, stiky buck......Sperm sacks mmmmm