Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead racoon in the Fraser River.  (Read 1823 times)

arimaBOATER

Dead racoon in the Fraser River.
« on: October 18, 2010, 04:15:59 PM »

Was boating the other day & seen the usual nice scenery...birds...seals splashing about (when they catch a salmon they do so) etc...
But by the Ladner side where there are 60 or so floating homes on a side channel of the Fraser R. we seen something in the water.
Upon closer inspection it was a young dead racoon.

As there are a few small islands in this area I am just guessing that it tried to swim across the water & drown.
Assume racoons can swim.
It didn't look as if it was injured or killed & thrown into the river as I never saw any wounds on it.
Nature sometimes takes it's toll on the young.

Like one dumb baby crow last yr didn't have the sense to keep a sharp eye out for yard cats.
It just walked about anytime any where's...well a cat jumped out from the bushes & that was it.
Most crows get "wise" to cats.
Mind you even older birds make a mistake...as I saw not long ago a sea gull fly across the road only to get nailed by a veicle.

It was eating something on the side of the road & it flew infront of a veicle. It was raining heavily so possibly the gull didn't take in account of being wet thus it's take off was not as quick if it was dry.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
Re: Dead racoon in the Fraser River.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 04:25:09 PM »

i was doing some trim work around a new window we installed, and a robin came flying through the house and right square into the window and was knocked out COLD....i moved it to the lawn and i checked a half hour later it was gone but it must have had brain damage or something

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 06:21:22 PM »

Nicefish Heard that alot of birds hit windows at the highrises downtown.

Janitors putting the lights on in the building at night & birds get attracted to the lights fly into the glass. Mnay birds are found on the sidewalks looking stunned or worse.

Coming up on Oct 31 Halloween ..with all the loud bang noises can make pets go rather "crazy".
Dogs can run for miles & miles away from their home...thus good idea to keep the cats & dogs in the house during that time...

PS Are ya the same guy that is behind the nightly fishing show at 11:30 pm ?  Show is called Nice Fish.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 06:32:11 PM »

Ive had  sparrows fly into my house windows...it happens, usually are dazed and fly off a few minutes later.
racoons do swim, I've watched them swimming around in lost lagoon at stanley many times...in search of nests im guessing.

I love watching that fishing show late at night lol