Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skishing  (Read 2090 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Skishing
« on: October 20, 2012, 07:25:26 PM »

Am re-reading a favourite book of mine "On The Run: An Angler's Journey Down the Striper Coast". The author follows the striped bass migration down the eastern seaboard from Maine to North Carolina and writes about the fishing, and the colourful characters, that he meets along the way. Fabulous book. Once again, I am reminded how crazy skishing is.

In skishing, you don a wetsuit and fins, kick out in the Atlantic Ocean at night, and, floating on your back, fish live eels for striped bass that can easily exceed tyee weight.  It takes a man with bigger nachos than mine to fish at night, floating in an ocean when tide rips of 8 knots can pull you out to sea like a water park ride, where an incidental catch of a bluefish can lop your finger off, and in waters where a 17 ft great white shark was caught in recent memory.

Crazy...

PS Read the book! :)

Fillibert

Re: Skishing
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 12:17:26 AM »

Can this become the favourite book thread?
Mine is Ice Station by Matthew Reilly. If you don't like reading because you find it boring this is the book for you. It starts all cheesy but then bam. I've lent it to people who read it in a matter of a few nights getting them in trouble with their wives and GFs even. Action packed.
For fishing books Fishing for Dummies is the most comprehensive book for beginners I have read.

noxcape

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 12:35:05 AM »

Mines the hunt for sow belly it's about the chase for the world record bass and my other is smiley it's about salmon fishing

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 09:49:14 AM »

Can this become the favourite book thread?

That wasn't my intent...  ;D