Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skeena  (Read 1770 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
Skeena
« on: February 28, 2010, 05:06:09 PM »

I'm thinking of heading up to the Skeena this summer/fall.  Never been up there before.  May go a day with a guide, but other than that we may just bring drift boat and wade.  Any/all advice, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated.  We have no idea where in the system to fish and what to expect as far as conditions go.  Thanks again. 

arimaBOATER

Re: Skeena
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 09:48:15 PM »

The river provides good fishing.
When I was up there years ago picked up a freebie newspaper in Terrace (city) & if my memory is correct the salmon was in the 80's or 90(s) lbs. !!!  I believe it was caught in the Skeena R.  This was back in 78-79 area...(30 yrs ago)

Hopefully the area will not get high populations thus the river should stay "healthy".

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 10:14:42 PM »

Tough to answer since there are so many rivers and it all depends on how much it rains.

If you Click Here  you can read all Noel Gyger's old reports for your time frame.

Don't expect to have any place to yourself pressure is heavy people come from all over to fish the area but fishing is still good most of the time.

fisher man

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 07:49:12 PM »

I to am considering the same trip.My uncle used to live in terrace.I have fished there in my childhood and i remember a lot of bar fishing.I spoke to my uncle over christmas and he mentioned two spots.There's two campsites  one at the west end and the other on ferry island (east side) that you can stay and bar fish right at the sites.I'm considering the summer time chinock run,which is good at mid july to mid august.
Good luck and maybe will bump shoulders on the bar(or at the bar)

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 09:16:43 PM »

Thanks for the information everyone.  I'm a little more partial toward fishing smaller water, so I think that would put me toward the mid or upper portions of the river, or possibly some tribs?  I like the camping idea, but am open to everything.  How are the roads or accomodations in that area?