Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: spoons?  (Read 3958 times)

theepum7

spoons?
« on: May 22, 2013, 11:53:06 PM »

whats the deal with spoons?  ive never caught a thing using them...

my go to lure is the apex.  90% of the fish i've caught have been on an apex, the rest on spinners.

Thoughts?
aaaand go!

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: spoons?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 06:43:26 AM »

Hmmm. Maybe try a soup spoon next time.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 08:10:28 AM »

Hmmm. Maybe try a soup spoon next time.

Ha Ha that is a good one.. ;D

I have no problem by using spoon , i guess you just have to present the drift right ,at the right time and at the right spot.  Tight line
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:37:06 AM by leapin' tyee »

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 09:12:30 AM »

Try a small to medium gold hammered croc wherever big fish are feeding on little fish.
Riverman

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 10:42:44 AM »

--Trolling, casting or both?

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 03:02:56 PM »

What kind of fish are you targeting?

What kind of waterbody are you targeting them in?

What are the conditions of that water?

theepum7

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 05:29:39 PM »

I spend most of my time trolling, but do a bit of casting.  Target fish is mostly rainbows.  And when it comes to water conditions/weather conditions, im lost.  But the reason i love apex lures is when everything else isnt working, i can usually find a bite using the apex.  Never been skunked while using one.

But im pretty sure im not using the spoons i have in the correct way.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 05:38:35 PM »

Perhaps the type and size of spoons you are using, combined with your trolling speed, isn't getting the right action.

For instance, Crocs need a decent speed to get the action going.  Apex's get a lot of action with a slow troll.

Crocs, Koho spoons etc work well with jigging action, shaking the rod tip during the retrieve, and the retrieve and let drop technique etc.  Apex's work with a straight retrieve.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 10:25:12 PM »

Tear-drop/oval shaped spoons provide more suitable action for slow/medium speed trolling....ie; daredevil,len thompson,kamlooper(kitamat and koho also).Thin bladed spoons for kokanee like the dick-nite and needlefish are also good for trout.......
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 09:18:06 AM »

I spend most of my time trolling, but do a bit of casting.  Target fish is mostly rainbows.  And when it comes to water conditions/weather conditions, im lost. 

But im pretty sure im not using the spoons i have in the correct way.

Ah, much better info. ;)

The info above is very useful - speed plays a big role in spoon effectiveness.  when you're trolling, just let a bit of line out beside the boat and watch your spoon in the water.  What kind of movement does it have?  Is it a slow side to side sway?  Does it almost vibrate it's moving so fast?  In my limited experience trolling spoons for trout, you want it somewhere in between these two speeds - faster than a slow sway, but slower than a hyper vibration - a steady but erratic "wobble" is ideal.

Re: water condition - I only asked because I didn't know if you were fishing gin-clear rivers for steelhead, or muddy sloughs for coho, or something else.  Water condition & clarity can make a big difference in what spoon is most effective.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 10:21:57 AM »

--when trolling with smaller spoons I usually use a dodger or flasher as an attractor with leader length to spoon varied by how much action I want on the spoon. Generally with the Apex it has a lot of action so doesn't need a dodger but if you are fishing deep water the dodger will add a different look. with longer leader the apex would still work the same... shorter leader and you are adding movement from the dodger... similarly heavier leader will transfer more action to the lure.  I most often use this extra action for kokanee

--great tip by Tex... run a rig near the boat so you can get an idea of what it will look like and adjust accordingly.

--There are many ways to change the look of the spoon and the way it works in the water. On hooks, change colour, hook shape or size.

theepum7

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 11:11:42 PM »

I spend all of my time on lakes, clear waters.  But i figured i was doing something wrong with the spoons, cause they did seem to have very little/no action.  I'll speed it up and go from there, just seemed before that i was reeling in the line too fast, but i guess you have to.

Water/weather conditions...  Any pointers there?  Do you guys know where fish are hanging out depending on changing weather conditions?

buzzbomb

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 05:42:17 AM »

Bright day - bright lure, dark day - dark lure.  Shiney, hammered surfaces that refract sunlight are best for the clear days and when it's overcast a darker, duller finish will make the outline easier for fish to see.
5% Alc./Vol.