Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Abu Garcia Lever Drag ?  (Read 4540 times)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Abu Garcia Lever Drag ?
« on: October 31, 2004, 04:26:01 PM »

I just noticed them, they look pretty cool, anyone ever used one ? How are they ? and does lever-drag in a reel that size make much difference ?

Just wondering.

Also, how does lever-drag stand up against star-drag ? Lever-drag seems to be on some of the larger reels, with the exception of the drag that's appearing on the Abus...
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Abu Garcia Lever Drag ?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 08:44:45 PM »

I tried one and I really prefer the star drag - probably because I'm more used to the star. I got confused and felt awkward when it came to backing off the drag as the spool got smaller. I have bit hands and it still didn't feel right.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 10:26:15 PM »

A lever drag reel is vastly superior to star drags.Have a look at high end Big Game reels like Duel, Avet and Alutechnos-all lever drags.
More control, smoother and better engineered.
However that's for trolling or fishing live bait-casting is a pain because you have to put the thing in free spool every time-manually move the lever because there is no free spool button.
In BC lever drags are used for downrigging mostly-there is no better unit for trouble free downrigging than a lever drag.
I'm no fan of Abu products and have heard that their lever  drag setup is something of a lemon.

BigJohnson

• DAMN FLYFLOSSERS!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 09:58:40 PM »

In most cases, drag is a set and forget feature.  I usually set mine a bit lower than required and use my thumb to be the extra bit of drag to slow the fish down. 
Well I have to disagree, Try using your thumb to stop a big spring in a fast river. A severe lack of skin or at least a big blister WILL be the result. The lever drag has its place, just not for smaller type rivers, Bella Coola, Atnarco, and Skeena for example are very good places for a lever drag.
>=))))*> ON!!!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 09:44:49 AM »

I can see using a Lever Drag bar fishing because you cast it out and set the thing then leave it.
Then as Johnson says the smoothly adjusting drag becomes a big advantage.Plus you can see where the drag is when you adjust it-quite different from the 'set 'n guess' of the star system.