Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Enforcement At KWB Today.  (Read 13707 times)

salmonrook

Re: Enforcement At KWB Today.
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 10:08:54 AM »

Just saying they could close this section , just the canal , its at a point where you can see all the fish coming through .This would force people to fish upstream where they would have to fish properly ,not this "shooting fish in a barrel " approach....
Its unfortunate if they had to do this,this happened on the little Campbell with coho and Springs, its a 100% hatchery river and for years people were lining fish because of the size of the flow ,  they have reduced the limit and removed sections that were targeted for this method...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:12:01 AM by salmonrook »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 10:12:45 AM »

I've had a few marbled springs in the past, the red parts being very light red. This season i got a red that was very deep red indeed. It also did not at all emit the acrid stench that the whites have.

While I have smelled the odour you are referring to, it only comes from fish well past their prime, IMO.

That said, yesterday I got a chrome bullet of a white spring, ocean fresh in appearance, not too big, maybe 13-14 pounds.
I was thinking of smoking it, but changed my mind. It's going to be consumed either BBQ-ed or as sashimi.
I dressed it last night, keeping the trimmings and bellies for frying in a mix of olive and grapeseed oil. It made for delicious dinner last night and lunch today.
I'll report on the sashimi in a week or so, after the deboned fillet has spent at least a week at -19 in my chest freezer.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 10:21:30 AM »

While I have smelled the odour you are referring to, it only comes from fish well past their prime, IMO.

The winter Chinook I catch in the ocean have that strong Chinook odor.  Even the 8 inch chinook grills you catch off the Fraser Mouth have the odor as well. Very strong smell on your hands after handling them. I think its like a tangy fishy smell
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:25:14 AM by wildmanyeah »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 10:22:57 AM »

That said, yesterday I got a chrome bullet of a white spring, ocean fresh in appearance, not too big, maybe 13-14 pounds.
I was thinking of smoking it, but changed my mind. It's going to be consumed either BBQ-ed or as sashimi.
I dressed it last night, keeping the trimmings and bellies for frying in a mix of olive and grapeseed oil. It made for delicious dinner last night and lunch today.
I'll report on the sashimi in a week or so, after the deboned fillet has spent at least a week at -19 in my chest freezer.

An interesting and informative article on the colour of king salmon's flesh:

What makes king salmon flesh read or white

I consider myself blessed whenever I bring a fresh white spring from the river and put it on the kitchen counter.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 10:27:49 AM »

I have fished sections of the Canal for many years and if your pick your spots and days it's possible to have a nice time away from crowds.

While I am tempted to say just close the 100 meters or so around the KW Bridge - all those yahoos would just move somewhere else, perhaps where I fish. Best to let them congregate where they do they can be easily observed and controlled.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 10:30:31 AM »

You haven't Caught very many Chinook then Milo. The winter Chinook I catch in the ocean have that strong Chinook odor.  Even the 8 inch chinook grills you catch off the Fraser Mouth have the odor as well. Very strong smell on your hands after handling them

I've caught enough red, marbled and white chinook to know, in both ocean and rivers. The smell you are referring to is called fish smell.
Nothing unpleasant about it, IMO. Some salmon have more of it, some less.
Read the article I provided a link to. Do you think chefs would rave about a stinky fish?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 10:31:39 AM »

I have fished sections of the Canal for many years and if your pick your spots and days it's possible to have a nice time away from crowds.

While I am tempted to say just close the 100 meters or so around the KW Bridge - all those yahoos would just move somewhere else, perhaps where I fish. Best to let them congregate where they do they can be easily observed and controlled.

I don't know if that is true, After fishing the Chehalis river system for years im convinced that probably 50% of Anglers out there don't like to walk more than a few hundred meters from their car.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 10:36:38 AM »

Akin to the downtown eastside around Hastings and Main. Much easier to police when they are all together in one area.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 10:40:36 AM »

I've caught enough red, marbled and white chinook to know, in both ocean and rivers. The smell you are referring to is called fish smell.
Read the article I provided a link to. Do you think chefs would rave about a stinky fish?

I don't think its a stinky or bad smell. It is however distinctly different, not necessarily more powerful.  As for the quality of Chinook salmon I consider it to be the best due to its fat content. Its way easier to cook because it and tastes far better. No need to convince me

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 10:43:18 AM »

I don't think its a stinky or bad smell. It is however distinctly different, not necessarily more powerful.  As for the quality of Chinook salmon I consider it to be the best due to its fat content. Its way easier to cook because it and tastes far better. No need to convince me

Ah, OK! :D
We are on the same page on this. Cheers.

bobby b

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2017, 10:48:01 AM »

I  did a google search on White Spring smell and this came up.... your words Milo..

"The notorious Harrison white chinook run (transplanted to the Vedder) is the one with a peculiar stink. It smells like a decomposing fish that was left for a day in a plastic bag along with an open tub of dated sour cream. Compared to its smell, old Feta cheese is expensive perfume.

I can detect that stink creeping up my fishing line when I hook into one of those brutes. If I accidentally touch them, I have to wash my hands three times with odor killing liquid soap before being allowed into my own home after a day of fishing.
If you happen to transport one of those in your car, the value of the vehicle automatically depreciates 20%, as no detail interior car wash will ever rid your vehicle of the smell.

They are so stinky that they render your smoker unusable when you smoke one of those. No amount of brining gets rid of the bitter aftertaste. Despite that fact, you will see many people on the Vedder in October carrying some seriously dark (even black) fish to their vehicles and sheepishly state they are 'good for the smoker' when you look at them in shock while holding your breath."

bobby b

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2017, 10:54:14 AM »

Anyhoo.... It has been my experience that the Whites smell very 'metallic' compared to all other salmon that I've caught.

I scrub 'em with salt and water before cutting into the flesh... this really does help get rid of the slime and odour.  I do like to eat them , but I do my darndest to keep any of the slime from tainting the meat.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2017, 11:34:37 AM »

I  did a google search on White Spring smell and this came up.... your words Milo..

"The notorious Harrison white chinook run (transplanted to the Vedder) is the one with a peculiar stink. It smells like a decomposing fish that was left for a day in a plastic bag along with an open tub of dated sour cream. Compared to its smell, old Feta cheese is expensive perfume.

I can detect that stink creeping up my fishing line when I hook into one of those brutes. If I accidentally touch them, I have to wash my hands three times with odor killing liquid soap before being allowed into my own home after a day of fishing.
If you happen to transport one of those in your car, the value of the vehicle automatically depreciates 20%, as no detail interior car wash will ever rid your vehicle of the smell.

They are so stinky that they render your smoker unusable when you smoke one of those. No amount of brining gets rid of the bitter aftertaste. Despite that fact, you will see many people on the Vedder in October carrying some seriously dark (even black) fish to their vehicles and sheepishly state they are 'good for the smoker' when you look at them in shock while holding your breath."

Yup. My words indeed. And they REEK of sarcasm - directed to people carrying excessively blackened springs to their cars.
Don't quote me out of context, please.  ;)
Try to find my real sentiment on white springs. It's out there, but you can't expect the search engine to do the thinking part for you.
Cheers.

edited to add: I feel the same way about many chum bagged from the Stave. Sores and everything. I just don't get it. :-\

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:38:59 AM by milo »

poper

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2017, 12:13:09 PM »

There easy to clean when the meat just falls off the bones.

hammer

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2017, 08:20:55 PM »

I would like to see genetic studies done on fall Chiliwack red Chinook comparing it the original Harrison stock. I have not fished the vedder for years but remember catching chrome whites, reds, and marbled in September. There has been some very interesting information in this thread. Regardless of the origin or purpose of the specific strains of fish, there is no excuse for disrespectful handling and tactics which specifically snag fish. People who act like that spill over into other fisheries where there are not "put an take" facets of the fish population. To some degree, deterioration of ethics and take "fish at all costs" mentality on the vedder came as a result of the season ending overflow from almost two decades of sockeye flossing on the Fraser. From that point, thousands and thousands of people bought 10'6" casting rods and ambassador reels from every shop within two hundred miles the lower Fraser. Simply by casting a bouncing Betty and standing beside a hundred people in a line, you could bring home two beatiful chrome sockeye. Over the course of two decades, whole populations convinced themselves they were fishermen. Certainly, many of these people caught fish, but they aren't fishermen. In my mind, mastery of craft comes from a long apprenticeship and respect for craft and quarry. Compare snagging pinks and ripping at the end of each cast with mountain goat hunting and you get the picture. I don't think closing a hatchery fishery is the answer. Step up enforcement and education. I think shops and guides should have a role in education that goes beyond paying 200$ to "learn how beach fish for coho".
If you are bonking tail hooked pinks under KWB, you should be fined and have to go through an educational process. If it is called sportsfishing, participants should act like sports fishermen.