Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stocked Trout Observation  (Read 1726 times)

jon5hill

Stocked Trout Observation
« on: March 22, 2011, 11:18:27 AM »

Several years ago I caught my first brood stock trout and was astonished to see that it had one pectoral fin ground down to a nub. I assume this is a function of time and density under hatchery tank conditions.

Last year and this year, however, I noticed the same pectoral fins being worn down on the fish stocked in the Spring - and since the time required can't have expanded - this may indicate they are rearing fish in higher densities per tank than they had in previous years.

Another curious feature I noticed of these fish is that they tend to have body depths (length from first dorsal fin ray to ventral surface) than others - this could be a result of changes in feed, density, or genetic stock. I suspect, however, that it has to do with density, as the fish are in such high density that they may not have sufficient space to grow longer in the hatchery and so they grow deeper.

Finally, I've noticed blotching in the color of the fish - sortof resembling par markings but much less distinct. Two or three years ago the fish were silver, so I suspect there has been a change since then in fishmeal?

I'm curious if anyone has any data from the fraser valley trout hatchery about the average number of fish per tank they have produced over the last 5-10 years. Also if anyone knows anything about the feed being used.

Has anyone else noticed these trends?

vancook

• Old Timer
Re: Stocked Trout Observation
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 11:42:26 AM »

have you considering asking them yourself? Either by phone or email?

mister mo

Re: Stocked Trout Observation
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 10:18:25 PM »

I worked on a artic char farm up north and i asked the same about their pec fin and its seems at least in that case it's because of feeding of the bottom of the tanks they get worn from the concrete bottom,also seen albino char, no eye char and a few other gems that get to grow at a hatchery that would not make it in the wild