Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Redington pro front zip waders - are they any good?  (Read 7470 times)

driftdriven

Redington pro front zip waders - are they any good?
« on: December 20, 2013, 09:25:49 AM »

I am about to pull the trigger on buying a new pair of waders and decided to go with front zipper waders. I want Simms g4z but spending that much kind seems silly but if they last a long time I don't mind. So the other side are the reasonably priced Redington pro zip waders. I have read a lot of reviews but I wanted to see if anyone has any actual experience with the Redington pro zip waders please comment and also please comment on your experience with the Simms g4z if you have them.

Thanks!

ByteMe

Re: Redington pro front zip waders - are they any good?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 09:37:58 AM »

no probs with the Reddingtons,just don't forget to ZZZZZZZZIP them up ;)
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

driftdriven

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 10:35:20 AM »

Was fitment an issue? Read some reviews the neoprene foot is loose.

htdub

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 11:08:29 AM »

ByteMe

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 12:31:42 PM »

Was fitment an issue? Read some reviews the neoprene foot is loose.
not for me,but we are all built different,seams are welded,so less chance for leaks,no complaints with mine,price is right,would buy another pair whenever these wear out
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 12:36:28 PM »

I owned the Redington CPX waders, they looked nice, but they were garabage.
The Bigger The Better!

driftdriven

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 01:04:15 PM »

Awesome! Thanks for the input.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 02:28:11 PM »

A zippered wader is not at all what it is touted to be. You still have to stop fishing, get your hand inside, find your tool, do your business, put the tool back...you get the drift. And if you are going for number two in the bush, the waders still have to slide all the way down, zipper or no zipper.

For the very limited convenience it offers, I find that a front zipper is nothing but another weak point in the wader assembly and a potential warranty issue.

Hambone

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 03:40:07 PM »

I bought some on steepandcheap....  They fit well and seem like a decent wader for the price....  Only time will tell though lol.  The booties aren't a problem for me but I also haven't done any hikes in them yet.

driftdriven

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 03:49:27 PM »

I see. Ya I was liking the ease of putting the waders on and off plus the fact it would nice ventilation on hot days with a zipper down. As for ease of going to the washroom in the bushes it doesn't look like the zipper goes low enough. Starting to leans towards the g4 pro waders and save $100.

fins -n- skins

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 05:50:29 PM »

There great for putting on and off but buddy is on his 3rd pair. He bushwhacks abit and the zipper has let go. They are still on warranty so he gets a new pair but still a hassle.. I went with no zipper and they are great. Mind you i am always in a drift boat.

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 10:49:19 PM »

I have a pair of redington palix river they are awsome wadders i have done multiple hikes in them i fish in them 1 or 2 times week and i have beet the hell out of em i have had one small whole from a hook i put some head cement over the hole they are leek free i have had them since january

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 11:52:03 PM »

I have the Sonic pro waders.

2 things I don't like....
- Boot feet are quite loose as others have stated, but they haven't given me problems yet
- Gravel guards have terrible clips, BUT the elastic is really good so they don't ride up regardless and do their job

Things I do like:
- Great fit - almost like wearing normal pants/jeans, good flexibility and no restraint at all for climbing logs, etc
- Sonic weld = no stitching = no leaks in salt water fishing (used them off the beach a number of times this year - so far so good)
- Not a single leak yet
- Very little wear despite the number of uses and what I have done to them so far (~90-100 trips so far this year, multiple full days and some big time bushwacks)
- Awesome storage/pockets (for fly fishing/spoon fishing all I need is my waders and nothing else)

So far I would say they are up with the best waders I've owned. I really liked the Frogg Toggs, they were great to me in their almost 3 years and the fit was very similar (and much cheaper). Time will tell if these match, but I'm sure they will - plus I wouldn't dare use the Frogg Toggs out in the salt.

Very much worth the $$ and I'd recommend them (the Redington brand)!

PS... lots of people complain about foot leaks in this brand. I think it's mostly a boot issue, or maybe I've just been lucky so far.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 09:37:54 AM »

Every Day, I'm looking at buying some new waders sooner than later. I've had a pair of Cabela's Dry Plus breathables for 4 years and no real complaints...no leaks aside from a couple that were my fault, overall totally good bang for your buck. However this time around I'd like something a bit nicer. The D/Ps have no front pocket, just a super flimsy internal pocket for your keys or whatever.

I know the Simms G4s etc are good but I just can't justify spending that kind of $ on waders. Where did you buy the Sonic Pros? Also, what kind of Frogg Toggs did you have before the Sonic Pros? My g/f has a pair of Frogg Togg waders that she got for cheap at W/S Sports in Burlington. I forget the model but they are good no issues with them yet. I was going to look for a pair when I was in the area last week but that WSS is no CLOSED :(

Also any words to the wise as far as boots go? I have the Cabela's boots that match the waders and they are pretty much toast. Not worth having the felt redone IMO. G/F has Korkers she got a WSS in Burlington and she loves them. I like the idea of being able to swap out the soles depending on the type of fishing you're doing.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 11:37:03 AM »

I bought the Sonic Pro's at Wholesale in Langley. Come out to just over $300. I really like them so far, but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on them. I think much of the foot issues people have can be attributed to boots.

And yep, all WSS in the states closed down, which is really too bad as there were some good deals down there. Not sure where else to get them in-store down in the states. Cabela's website says they carry Frogg Toggs, but I've never seen them in the actual store, just online. You could probably order a pair in and pick them up from there. I had the Hellbenders which had a decent pocket in the front as well.

Boots, I like Korkers, good bang for your buck. I have found the Red side boots last somewhere around 150 trips of heavy use (lots of hiking each trip, bushwacking, etc). I haven't given any higher up models a try. I was going to, but I found some pairs of old leather boots that are 100% my go to now, and probably will be forever as they haven't shown a single sign of wear in ~200 trips on them. I have also heard good things about SIMMS boots, although I don't like the weight. Don't get Chota, or any other low end boots. I've honestly tried almost every $100-150 price point boot on the market, and every single one except korkers was not worth it.